What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Someone showed this link to a very interesting oral history of the show:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/08/the-wonder-years-an-oral-history-1.html

Two things jumped out at me--Dan Lauria pulls no punches about the guy he believes was responsible for the show being cancelled, and Fred Savage mentions how much he liked the use of 'Long May You Run' at the end of the ep about the family car. Too bad that's one of the songs that is being replaced. Sigh.

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
That should read 'someone showed me this link.' For some reason I can't get the editing function to work. I'm sure the glitch is on my end, not HTF's.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
High C said:
Someone showed this link to a very interesting oral history of the show:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/08/the-wonder-years-an-oral-history-1.html

Two things jumped out at me--Dan Lauria pulls no punches about the guy he believes was responsible for the show being cancelled, and Fred Savage mentions how much he liked the use of 'Long May You Run' at the end of the ep about the family car. Too bad that's one of the songs that is being replaced. Sigh.
That means The Wonder Years is in good company... Perelman was also considered to be largely responsble for Marvel Comics going bankrupt in the '90s.

They recovered, of course, but not without having to farm out the rights to some major characters in lopsided deals that mean we may never see Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four in the Marvel movie universe (or good movies ever again).

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
After disappearing for awhile, Amazon has re-listed season one of the Wonder Years with a release date of Oct. 7.

Time Life hasn't officially announced a season one set yet.

The Amazon listing for season one reports it's a two-disc set, but season one only had six episodes.

Michael's Movie Mayhem lists a 610583485097 UPC for the season one set.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Season 1 cover art (via toysrus.com of all places....)

The-Wonder-Years---Season--pTRU1-19339723dt.jpg

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Anyone know why they are not releasing seasons 1 & 2 together since they are both short seasons?! The two seasons combined would be 23 episodes, which is not a lot IMO, looks like they are trying to get more money out of consumers by releasing them separately?!

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
In this age of shrinking shelf space, combining the two would be smarter and also give more of an impression of a deal to casual consumers. This isn't a deal and a waste of personal shelf space. Season one was extremely short.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Anyone know why they are not releasing seasons 1 & 2 together since they are both short seasons?! The two seasons combined would be 23 episodes, which is not a lot IMO, looks like they are trying to get more money out of consumers by releasing them separately?!
I think you answered your own question. :) In fairness to Time Life, they paid to license the show and lots of music so they might have a smaller margin for profit and since they're not the owners, it's not like they made money off the show when it initially aired or was in syndication, etc.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Amazon now lists bonus features for the season one set:

Bonus features include:Highlights from The Wonder Years cast reunion, May 28, 2014Featurette: With a Little Help from My Friends: The Early Days of The Wonder YearsInterviews with:eek: Creators Neal Marlens and Carol Blacko Fred Savageo Danica McKellaro Josh Saviano

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Now this variation of release is intriguing. If these are standard packaged sets as the picture suggests that is...

TheWonderYears_Seasons1through3Collection.jpg

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20310

and from Time Life's page:
Never before released on DVD, you can now own the first three seasons, including all 46 episodes plus over 6 hours of bonus features on 11 DVDs. Plus, you’ll get a replica yearbook with behind-the-scenes photos and signatures by the cast and crew.

Exclusive bonus features include the first cast reunion in 16 years and interviews with all 7 main cast members, the creators, and the narrator! Plus, four newly-produced featurettes and never-before-seen outtakes of Kevin and Winnie’s first kiss!
It's $99.95.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mine came in today--I probably won't watch it for a while, so don't expect a review--but the packaging is really nice in person. The locker is really sturdy and is really metal, the DVD holders look like binders, and the yearbook is really clever with the signed sections in the front and back just like on a real yearbook. The only concern I had was that the door on the locker was behind one of the stops when I first opened it, and I was afraid I'd scratch it all up trying to open it. It worked out okay somehow. Really quality design, though. I got the cheapest set as I didn't need the clothing and other stuff taking up space and collecting dust. I have no doubt it'll be just as cool and clever, though, for those who want it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Greg, how big is the "locker" - especially, how tall? Still trying to make up my mind on this, if I can find a place where it will fit I will probably go for it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just measured it and it's about a foot tall and six inches both wide and deep. It's sort of heavy and feels pretty solid.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Greg, thanks for the info. I can make that work on my "tall" shelf, next to the Lost Blu-ray binder. :)

Finally pilled the trigger. Ordered, and shipped.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bob_S. said:
I'm curious, is anyone getting the $500 set with autographs from the cast?
I was, but I had to cancel the pre-order because I have a lot of bills to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks