What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (2 Viewers)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
justegofficial said:
And the clip show "The Wonder Years." I can't remember how it was used in the episode "Swingers." Was it prominent? It must have been expensive to use and they felt it wasn't significant enough to clear for "Swingers" unlike the other episodes?
Or they just forgot and left it off the list.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
When Shout Factory put out season 4 of Mr. Belvedere, Bob Uecker singing We're in the Money was intact in one of the episodes. How Much Is that Doggie in the Window was intact in a season 2 episode of that show.

And aren't, Auld Lang Syne, Ride of the Valkyries and Amazing Grace public domain?

Real Name
E.G.
Vahan_Nisanain said:
When Shout Factory put out season 4 of Mr. Belvedere, Bob Uecker singing We're in the Money was intact in one of the episodes. How Much Is that Doggie in the Window was intact in a season 2 episode of that show.

And aren't, Auld Lang Syne, Ride of the Valkyries and Amazing Grace public domain?
You may be right about Auld Lang Syne and Ride of the Valkyries (I wrote this list in a hurry). But, Amazing Grace was sung by Judy Collins, so even though the song itself is in the public domain, maybe her recording of it isn't?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
justegofficial said:
You may be right about Auld Lang Syne and Ride of the Valkyries (I wrote this list in a hurry). But, Amazing Grace was sung by Judy Collins, so even though the song itself is in the public domain, maybe her recording of it isn't?
I'm no authority but that make sense. Ride must be public domain so my guess is that it's included in the show but Time Life just didn't bother to list it since it's PD. Although I guess if it's a recording by a specific philharmonic then they'd have to clear it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Vahan_Nisanain said:

Yes, those 3 pieces are in the public domain - but just the music and lyrics.

Clearances of pre-recorded songs involve both the author(s) of the song (music *and* lyrics) as well as the performance. My guess is the rights holders of the *performances* are the main ones holding out, especially on those 3. Even if a song is PD there's still the performance that has to be cleared. A "sound alike" could be used if the rights to the song are obtained but not the actual performance.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I'm curious as to what's missing too mostly because I'm wondering if they'll use a cover of the song to fill in the 'blank'. That being said, I think there's a difference between us being curious about what's missing and thinking that the absence of a list means that there's a conspiracy afoot. :)
As I posted on the TVShowsOnDVD Facebook page, in the comments for the link to today's story/press release, StarVista/Time-Life directly informed me about how they handled the few songs which did not clear:

"NO scenes were cut; and in each case we replaced the music with similar music, most of it supplied by Fox for their Netflix version."Hope this helps!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
One can just take the footage with the original songs, and replace the DVD version' scenes with the original footage to truly make it look like the original broadcast.

Problem solved, and everything else on the DVD stays.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Okay, the absence of the Doors songs - while no surprise - hurts a bit. Also, a surprising amount of "TV Theme Music" appears to be missing. (I remember the use of the Jeopardy Think Music was absolutely hilarious). All in all - my preorder is already in and it stays in.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Is the version of In My Life that is on two episodes really Judy Collins'? Her version did not have guitar squeaks, like the one that was heard in Syndicated reruns of this episode.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
David Rain said:
Anyone who is still refusing to purchase this release because of the uncleared songs, please step forward so that I can beat you soundly.
I refuse to budge until "Tammy" is reinstated. No Debbie Reynolds, No Peace.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
justegofficial said:
I've compared the list of "cleared" songs with lists across the internet of all the songs used throughout the series and I've come up with this rough list of the songs NOT included. This is by no means official or complete. If anyone has any to add, please tell us:

2. Swingers
"In My Life" by Judy Collins

5. The Phone Call
"Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota

7. Heart of Darkness
"Riders on the Storm" by The Doors
"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens

9. Christmas
"Silent Night" by Glen Cambell and Cher

20. Brightwing
"One-Adam 12" - Adam 12 Theme Song

22. Whose Woods Are These
"Troi Gymnopedies" by Blood, Sweat & Tears

23. How I'm Spending My Summer Vacation
"Light My Fire" by The Doors

25. Math Class
"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant

28. On the Spot
"That's Entertainment" by The Jam

30. The Family Car
"Long My You Run" by Neil Young

32. Math Class Squared
"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant

36. She, My Friend and I
"Auld Lang Syne" by Guy Lombardo

38. Tree House
"The Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner

41. Faith
"Amazing Grace" by Judy Collins

52. Little Debbie
"Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds

61. Buster
"How Much Is That Doggie in the Window" by Patti Page
"Lassie" - Theme Song

69. The Wonder Years
"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens

74. Full Moon Rising
"Jeopardy Think Music"
"Theme from Hawaii 5-0" by The Ventures

81. Grandpa's Car
"Citizens (dum-de-dum-dum) Drive Safely" by M. Roza and W. Schumann

87. Lunch Stories
"Peter Gun Theme" by Henry Mancini

96. Scenes From a Wedding
"Back Off Boogaloo" by Ringo Starr

97. Sex and Economics
"We're in the Money" by Ginger Rogers

104. New Year
"Steel Guitar Dancers" by Paul Anka
There are some interesting things going on here.

There are *several* Lennon/McCartney compositions that were cleared and performed by other artists. The lone exception is the one performed by Richie Havens which leads one to believe the rights holders for his performance are the holdouts.

Other Blood, Sweat, and Tears recordings were cleared (although the official list indicates David Clayton-Thomas as performer and not BS&T) but *not* Eric Satie's "Troi Gymnopedies" which should be in the public domain as #1 & #2 were published in 1888 with #2 published in 1895.

I've not heard the "Theme from Romeo and Juliet" in years, if not decades, so what's the deal there? Does *anyone* truly remember and listen to this one to the point the rights holders think it's musical gold? Other than those of us alive when that film came out would anyone else truly make the connection?

Yes, "The Doors" are a great band, but they are another one that's somewhat fallen into obscurity. I listen to "classic rock" most of the time and the couple of stations I listen to at work haven't played *anything* by "The Doors" in months. If I want to hear their music I have to put it on myself.

It's the same as "The Doors" with music from Neil Young *but* there was a CSN&Y song cleared. Does that mean Young has *no* control over the material he recorded with them or was it the current rights holder of the song rather than the performance that was the hold-out for his single contribution? BUT Young wrote "Long My You Run" and performed it with Steven Stills so...

Then there are the TV theme songs. Those just seem odd to be unobtainable. I can *almost* understand the "Peter Gunn Theme" as it's had several releases through the years but it's *still* over 60 years old. The others just feel like someone being a putz, *especially* the "Jeopardy Think Music" as it's almost become to a National Heritage type thing.

And while the Lennon/McCartney compositions included all look to be instrumentals you still wonder just what's up with Ringo Starr's "Back Off Boogaloo" being missing. He both wrote and performed the piece so *does* he own that one? Considering a "Beatles" performance (or part of one) is included via a Ed Sullivan Show clip it makes you wonder who owns the rights to the Sullivan stuff. Do *any* of "The Beatles" or their heirs have any control over that group of recordings?

Just random thoughts...

I can easily see how those missing pieces would fit in the program but I'm 100% sure I'll not miss them once I finally purchase and watch the series. I just hope TL doesn't wait 2 years to get this series in a wide release like they've done with others which started out as TL exclusives. Of course if they do I might actually be almost caught up with my massive backlog of TVonDVD releases...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I just noticed one mistake. In the first season episode, Dance With Me, Time Life is advertising that they cleared the song "The Letter" but say the version is from The Box Tops. But the episode played the Joe Cocker version originally and in syndication. I'm wondering if this is a mistake or if it's actually a replacement. The two versions are quite different and I'd be disappointed if they didn't use the Joe Cocker version (which is far superior, imho).

They also are using an alternate band with the song, "There's a Kind of Hush". The original was sung by Herman's Hermits, but the write-up lists a band I've never heard of - Craggy Blue Project.

These changes force me to amend my earlier comments about being very excited that they got all 9 songs from that episode correct. They do have all the original songs, but not all the original vocals. That makes a difference to me. Darn it.

Gary "that episode is one of my favorites and I had feared from the beginning we wouldn't get all the originals, which looks to be the case" O.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll be more disappointed if they had to change it but it'll be alright. I love both versions of The Letter. Stil, Gary you're right.. Cocker made everything better. Although, don't tell that to Lester Bangs or he'll just tell you that Cocker's version is just too damn long! ;)
Do you know "The Letter" by The Box Tops is a minute and fifty-eight seconds long. Means nothing. But it takes them less than two minutes to accomplish what it takes Jethro Tull hours to not accomplish.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jimmyjet said:
i recently saw the cute clip with kevin and the older girl, so glad to see "hey good lookin"

gosh, there was even a song from mitch miller !!!!
If it's the Hank Williams, Sr. version it makes sense it got cleared. There was an article earlier this year about his estate (which is really Hank, Jr. and Jett, his daughter) going out of their way to make his catalog available for movie and TV licensing. The last few years have been exciting to be a Hank fan since Junior and Jett won their lawsuit against UMG! I just wish Bear Family would do a comprehensive release and fix the travesty known as "The Complete Hank Williams."

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"And while the Lennon/McCartney compositions included all look to be instrumentals you still wonder just what's up with Ringo Starr's "Back Off Boogaloo" being missing. He both wrote and performed the piece so *does* he own that one? Considering a "Beatles" performance (or part of one) is included via a Ed Sullivan Show clip it makes you wonder who owns the rights to the Sullivan stuff. Do *any* of "The Beatles" or their heirs have any control over that group of recordings?"Howie,I'll be interested to learn whether the Ed Sullivan clip you mention here makes it to the DVD release. If it doesn't, it won't be the first time that a Beatles clip from The Ed Sullivan Show aired during the first-run showing of a film or series and yet did not make it to the released version on DVD or VHS. One example that comes to mind is the clip included in the film, The 1960s. To this day I regret that that clip is not included on the released version. (If I had the equipment to do so I would have edited it in myself.)

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
David Lambert said:
in each case we replaced the music with similar music, most of it supplied by Fox for their Netflix version."
This is the only thing that is scary to me...

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont think one can compare the letter - between joe cocker and the box tops

cuz you are talking about different styles of music

i hate blues, so i seldom can stand joe cocker - having to listen to with a little help on every episode is by far the worse thing about the series for me.

whereas the boxtops are a polished pop group, which is why they had the big hit version of it. that appeals more to the masses.

with regards to those 2 versions of "in my life" - is there even a question about those 2 being the same voices ??

they dont sound even remotely similar. the second one sounds just like judy collins, whose voice is fairly distinctive. the first one is not even a very good singer, if you are judging her as a professional singer.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi ron,

i do have the complete hank williams, if you are referring to what i think was 10 cds. the last of them containing live songs from if i recall it was named the "health and happiness" shows ?

if this was a travesty, what was wrong with it ? it was a bit scratchy in places, but not that bad, for the most part.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jimmyjet said:
hi ron,

i do have the complete hank williams, if you are referring to what i think was 10 cds. the last of them containing live songs from if i recall it was named the "health and happiness" shows ?

if this was a travesty, what was wrong with it ? it was a bit scratchy in places, but not that bad, for the most part.
Jimmy, I don't want to hijack my thread and take it off topic but I'll give a brief synopsis.

I don't expect "Your Cheatin' Heart take 1021" and the like to be on there (if such even existed......it was direct to disc back then so I doubt too many alternate takes would exist) nor do I expect every live recording of his hits to be included. With only (I believe) two exceptions, absolutely none of his earliest work on WSFA is included nor has it ever been made commercially available. I'll now give you something UMG/Mercury Nashville couldn't deliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyM4kwpGexw&list=UUttfrHSpO8hM0p0ajloY2wg

My channel is full of quite a bit of rare Hank stuff. Just like the Mother's Best stuff, the WSFA recordings are floating around amongst collectors. I'm just the first one to put them on YouTube I think!

I reviewed it on Amazon at the time. I was off-base with the Mother's Best shows and I'll admit that but everything else still stands 14 years later:
You've heard the old saying that the title says it all. Well, in this case, the title doesn't say it all. We all know, of course, by the disclaimer that there are obviously some cuts missing and we also can figure out that the overdub stuff is not here. If the disclaimer were factual, the title would be fine, but the disclaimer is NOT factual. Following is a list of songs that do NOT meet the definition Ms. Florita gives:

1. A House of Gold-this take is on "Rare Demos First To Last" and is performed in a different key, minus some chord changes and has totally different lyrics.2. A House of Gold-this cut appeared on Vol. 8 of "The Collector's Edition" in a different key and minus the bridge.3.Angel of Death#2-this take appears on "Collector's" as well as current release "Alone & Forsaken."4. Angel of Death#3-currently unreleased. Spoken of by Colin Escott in Vol. 5 of "Collector's" when he said THREE versions of the song existed.5. I'm Goin' Home-vocal/guitar demo on "Rare Takes." Version on "Complete" is with full band.6. You Broke Your Own Heart-see above7.Singing Waterfall-totally different cut appears on "Rare Demos"8. Help Me Understand-vocal/guitar demo appears on "Rare Takes"- no demo is on "Complete" at all.9. Calling You-take on "Complete" is solo. Appears on "Rare Demos" with vocal backup.10. Crazy Heart-same session alternate take that was on "Collector's."11. Mother Is Gone-Appeared originally on "Spirit of Hank Williams" and then on "Collector's." Different version & time period than one presented on "Complete."12. Wearin' Out Your Walkin' Shoes-First appeared on "Spirit of H.W."-has never been on CD-different lyrics than take on "Complete."13. A Temple In Heaven-When did Home & Temple start to sound alike? That's the excuse for the non-inclusion of this version because it sounds like demo of "A Home In Heaven." If you say so!14. Happy Rovin' Cowboy-a scratchy (barely listenable) take from 1939 or '40 appears on "Complete" while the theme song from the "Health & Happiness Shows" is totally ignored.15. Dear John-live alternate take. First appeared on bootleg "Jambalaya." Has different lyrics and a faster tempo.16. I Can't Escape From You-See above17. Jesus Died For Me-Solo take from "Collector's." Take on "Complete" is with Audrey.18. Are You Walkin' & A Talkin'-take from "Collector's" with the Bailes Brothers on backup. Did not make the cut here.
19. Cold, Cold Heart-video take where Hank says it's bought him & the boys a lot of beans & biscuits.20. Hey, Good Lookin'-video take that for years was thought to be the only existing film appearance.

Ok, so if Mercury is bold enough to leave off that much that can easily be researched, what else is being withheld? A careful reading of the enclosed booklet will lead one to believe there's an alternate of "Alone & Forsaken" being withheld as well.

Also, the entire "Mother's Best" Radio Shows are not here. Mercury CLAIMS not to have legal rights to these, but is it really true? While I'm not an expert, let's look at a fact or two-some of the songs were broadcast in 1988 on the Music Country Network on a Hank special. So, where did MCN get the songs from? This simply doesn't make sense. MGM bought access to all of the Johnny Fair shows in the 50's, so why would they not buy the Mother's Best shows as well? If I'm wrong, please give me information and I will edit this review and stand corrected!
Since we're on the subject, as I said, MGM bought the Johnny Fair stuff in the 50's which is where a good majority of the vocal/guitar stuff came from. These, of course, were overdubbed and became "Lonesome Sound of Hank Williams" & "Wait For the Light To Shine" in 1960. Polygram/Mercury cried tears in their beer about these takes being lost forever in the original form while they sat with the masters in the vault-they admit in the book that they had this stuff & some of us do have memories! For instance, they expressed joy about "finding" "Fool About You" in the mid-80's while it had been released already in England BY POLYDOR in 1976 in that form! Something smells foul!

Also, Ms. Florita and Mr. Escott told me that more material couldn't have been added without having to have more CD's. Oh, really? CD's have a capacity of 80 minutes, so here are the running times on the CD's: 1-61:12, 2-65:25, 3-64:31, 4-56:01, 5-42:28, 6-44:18, 7-53:28, 8-46:44, 9-72:53, 10-66:04. So, to have added more cuts would've added more CD's? As John Stosell says, "Give me a break." You're leaving 3 hours and 47 minutes of unused disc space here! HELLO!!!
Yeah, the set is essential-no doubts about it. But, it's poorly packaged & produced...Check my facts & I think you'll find I've presented them correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks