Had high hopes for ESPN Hockey (X-Box), but...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Arthur Legardo, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

...after renting it for the weekend I've decided to wait a little longer until the EA (NHL 2004) and Microsoft (NHL Rivals) appear on store shelves.

The game itself was rather impressive. The graphics were top notch, slightly better than last year's (which I own) and the announce team was pretty good; there were only a couple times that they announced something that never happened during gameplay. CPU AI was just as good as last year's version, if not better.

However, here's what bothered me. I played a season as the Toronto Maple Leafs and in their third game of the season I played the Washington Capitals at the Air Canada Centre. Now, unless it was reverse jersey night, in which the game made no indication that it was, I dressed my team in the normal home whites, but so did the Capitals! WTF? I believe last year's NHL 2K3 did this as well, but after one full year you'd think the developers found this little "bug" and fixed it in the latest offering.

One last aspect of the game that got under my skin were the lack of post game injury reports. Wouldn't it be more convenient if the game told you that one or more of your players got injured instead of having to manually going into the Injury Report before each game and then making line up changes. I know, the game can automatically configure the lines for you, but I would like to know what happened instead of surprising me at the drop of the puck at the start of the next game. Maybe I'm just being lazy, but post game injury reports would be nice.

2. NickC

NickC Second Unit

NHL jerseys will be as follows for the 2003-2004 season, Home team wears dark jersey's, Road team wears white jersey's....

From what I have seen, I haven't played it yet, the player models and graphics are better than last years, but the player models still don't appeal to me, it looks like the same skating and sitck handling animations are in the game, not a fan of those either, same with the horrible slap shot animation, the gameplay was good last year, from what I have seen this year passing is still as easy as before, and the back door pass seems to be a goal with or without coverage like last year. I don't think I will be buying ENH this year. It just doesn't appeal to me like it did last year....

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer