What's new

Had heart set on Sanyo Z-2 but throw distance might be too far (1 Viewer)

Pete Whitley

Auditioning
Hi,

Due to to design of my room I have to have a throw distance of about 20 feet. There is a perfect nook in the ceiling that I wanted to put it in. I really wanted to buy the Sanyo Z2 but now realize that 20 feet might be too far away. I liked the Z2 because of the price and the fact that it is HD compatible for future upgrades. Is there a better projector for my application? Is 20 feet OK? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Z2's owners manual should have a chart in it that will tell you what throw distance you can use for a given screen size...that said I think 20 feet is going to be a bit of a strech with that PJ. The Infocus 4805 might work but I'm really not sure on its throw distance requirements...but its getting glowing reviews over the similar priced Z2.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 4805 is not native 720p, so for HD content it will have to scale everything back to 480p which isn't the easiest of processes. For DVD only though the 4805 would be perfect.

You'll probably want to look at the Panasonic L500U. Projector Central did a head-to-head of the L500U and the Z2 and said the performance of the two was near identical, the Z2 was a bit more user friendly, but the L500U had the shorter throw lens. They're also very close in price.

Hope this helps :)

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
... but I think he needs a projector with an even longer throw distance, right?

--kyle

Pete Whitley

Auditioning
Well, I took the plunge and bought the Z2 last night! I'm very excited about joining the PJ club(even though our first child is due tomorrow and my job in the airline industry is in shaky at best......you have to do what you have to do (

Pete Whitley

Auditioning
Well, I took the plunge and bought the Z2 last night! I'm very excited about joining the PJ club(even though our first child is due tomorrow and my job in the airline industry is in shaky at best......you have to do what you have to do (

Users who are viewing this thread