What's new

...had a theatrical release in Europe. (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Was there scene which shows Baltar being beheaded ?

That scene where Baltar is arguing with the Imperious Leader about his colony being destroyed against their agreement.

In the TV version, they get to the centurion drawing his sword, but then he re-sheathes it. The leader says "no, remove him for public execution." The movie version has the cylon draw the sword completely while Baltar yells "no you still need me -aaagghh!" and the camera swish pans away as the swrod reaches his throat. Here are a few versions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
an overseas edit of two episodes of "The Lieutenant" gave us new scenes with Anne Helm and the rough way Gary Lockwood treats her totally destroyed the likability of his character)

I hated that movie version.

If memory serves, it wasn’t actually a two part episode. I think it was a single part season/series finale that they then shot additional material for, in addition to borrowing some stuff from earlier episodes. I just look at it as an alternate version or an unrelated adaptation, rather than being part of the series’ continuity. Lockwood’s character is better in the series, and the series itself is more optimistic and hopeful than the film. The film version I just found to be a total downer.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This is an interesting thread, because this practice has been going on for almost 60 years, at least. MGM and MGM Television definitely did this as a revenue-generating measure. There was a one-season MGM-produced US tv show in 1961-62 entitled Cain's Hundred that combined episodes which became several "international" movies, including The Crimebusters. Dorothy Dandridge's last film, The Murder Men was shown as part of this episodic series, though in one place says it was a film first and then became part of the tv show, but the Films of MGM book says otherwise.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Speaking of MGM, various episodes of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." yielded eight different films that played in theaters outside the U.S. All were derived from two-part episodes of the show. Some had additional footage shot for the theatrical version. They were:

- The Spy With My Face
- To Trap a Spy
- One Spy Too Many
- One of Our Spies Is Missing
- The Spy In the Green Hat
- The Karate Killers
- Helicopter Spies
- How To Steal the World

The first three of these played in U.S. theaters as well.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
To Trap a Spy Combo - small.jpg

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Here in Canada, the pilot for the original Battlestar Gallactica was shown in the theatre...
It was released here in August, before the series started its run. I think it was released in the US, as well, but not until after the show was cancelled. Buck Rogers also received a theatrical release the winter before the series aired.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Here in Canada, the pilot for the original Battlestar Gallactica was shown in the theatre. It had much more adult content. I remember being surprised at the difference when it appeared as the first show of the series.
There was a scene where two characters are making out in an air lock or some such place and a jealous female blasts them with steam. In the movie version, they are definitely making out. On TV they just exchange a chaste kiss.

In the version you saw, Starbuck has his shirt off, so it's more obvious, as you say, what is going on. On the TV version, he's still fully-clothed. I'm not sure, but I think he may have still been clothed in the version that later played in US cinemas (and came out on home video).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
In the version you saw, Starbuck has his shirt off, so it's more obvious, as you say, what is going on. On the TV version, he's still fully-clothed. I'm not sure, but I think he may have still been clothed in the version that later played in US cinemas (and came out on home video).

That's correct. The "shirt-off" Starbuck was only in that initial version and I don't think even the footage of that has been seen since I don't think it's in any of the deleted scenes supplements on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Of course Galactica also had the mashed together "Mission Galactica-The Cylon Attack" combined from "Living Legend" and "Fire in Space" which had a theatrical release. That was separate from the mashed-together "telemovies" that initially aired in syndication and combined all the single part episodes into two hour "features", but the original two-part episodes were left alone and even expanded with scenes shot but cut from the original broadcast, which is why those versions are highly prized items.

There was also the dreadful "Conquest Of The Earth" re-edit of several "Galactica 1980" episodes.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Sometimes They Come Back initially debuted on CBS in 1991 and was shot in Super 35 with the intention of releasing it theatrically overseas. DVD and Blu-Ray releases tend to present it in the theatrical aspect ratio.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The TV movie, The Sex Symbol, a thinly veiled bio of Marilyn Monroe, had Connie Stevens nude for European release.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Alien Attack (the first of these) was the only one that had specially-shot new footage added. It was all new actors representing "The International Lunar Commission", in Earthbound scenes where they're commenting about the unfolding events on Alpha.

The only 'new' addition to Destination Moonbase Alpha is an opening narration (basically explaining about the moon being blasted out of orbit, etc) but otherwise, they were all just two episodes joined together.

One consequence of these four TV movies is that until sometime in the 1990s, these 8 episodes were pulled from all 'new' syndication packages. In the 1980s, the only way to see these episodes were on stations that still had 'old' prints (like WPIX), or to see them as the edited-together movies (from the 'Super Space Theatre' package). Stations like KPTS, a PBS station who were showing unedited episodes around 1987-88 or so, did not have acess to these 8 episodes. The company that released the laserdiscs around that time also did not have the rights to release them.

Actually, IMAGE released 46 of the 48 episodes of SPACE:1999 over 23 volumes on laserdisc. Only "Bringers of Wonders" parts 1&2 ("Destination Moonbase Alpha") was not released. These came out in the Spring of 1991.

So while the 8 episodes making the 4 "movies" were not in the TV package in the 1980's, 6 of those 8 episodes were part of the releases on laserdisc in 1991.

The Scifi Channel ran all 48 episodes when they got the rights in the 1990's - edited, but they had all 48, including "Bringers of Wonder", parts 1&2.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
That's correct. The "shirt-off" Starbuck was only in that initial version and I don't think even the footage of that has been seen since I don't think it's in any of the deleted scenes supplements on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Of course Galactica also had the mashed together "Mission Galactica-The Cylon Attack" combined from "Living Legend" and "Fire in Space" which had a theatrical release. That was separate from the mashed-together "telemovies" that initially aired in syndication and combined all the single part episodes into two hour "features", but the original two-part episodes were left alone and even expanded with scenes shot but cut from the original broadcast, which is why those versions are highly prized items.

There was also the dreadful "Conquest Of The Earth" re-edit of several "Galactica 1980" episodes.

The two-hour "telemovies" featured and Edited down version of "Saga of a Star-World" with an hour of it's running time cut down to two-hours from three! Thus making a 3rd version of the pilot movie!

Also, to round out one of the movies, "Return of Starbuck" from Galactica:1980 was added, removing all the 1980 material and having him return to the fleet rather than staying marooned. It was matched with "Experiment in Terra" with additional footage to compensate for the shorter running time of "Return of Starbuck" material.

The funny thing is, MCA ended up syndicating Battlestar: Galactica in the original 1-hour format, so why they made the movies to put "on offer" as well is beyond me. Perhaps the success of the 5 "Planet of The Apes" and 7 "Spider-Man" movies might have been a motivation for markets who would opt to run them in movie slots rather than as a weekly off-net series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Speaking of MGM, various episodes of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." yielded eight different films that played in theaters outside the U.S. All were derived from two-part episodes of the show. Some had additional footage shot for the theatrical version. They were:

- The Spy With My Face
- To Trap a Spy
- One Spy Too Many
- One of Our Spies Is Missing
- The Spy In the Green Hat
- The Karate Killers
- Helicopter Spies
- How To Steal the World

The first three of these played in U.S. theaters as well.
"The Spy With My Face" is actually an hour long episode - which aired in B&W - in Color with additional footage to pad out the running time. So it was planned to be expanded into a feature since the show was airing in B&W at the time.

"To Trap a Spy" is the original unaired color pilot "Solo" with additional footage to also pad out the running time.

"One Spy Too Many" is The "Alexander The Greater Affair" with additional new footage - the original 2-parter was pulled from the TV packages and only available in the movie format (in MGM TV movie packages) until the uncut 2-part version surfaced in the 1990's thanks to Turner.

The other 5 films didn't turn up stateside till after Turner had the MGM library in the 1990's.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Actually, IMAGE released 46 of the 48 episodes of SPACE:1999 over 23 volumes on laserdisc. Only "Bringers of Wonders" parts 1&2 ("Destination Moonbase Alpha") was not released. These came out in the Spring of 1991.

So while the 8 episodes making the 4 "movies" were not in the TV package in the 1980's, 6 of those 8 episodes were part of the releases on laserdisc in 1991.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. I suspect the reason that "Bringers of Wonder" was left out was that (perhaps) CBS/Fox may have still held US home video rights for that (in the form of "Destination Moonbase Alpha"). Only theory I can come up with.

The Scifi Channel ran all 48 episodes when they got the rights in the 1990's - edited, but they had all 48, including "Bringers of Wonder", parts 1&2.

True. I remember on SFC's first day of programming I had the VCR primed and ready to record "Breakaway"... then getting ticked-off when the opening title sequence was edited (all the 'this episode' stuff was cut), and being doubly-ticked off when a really stupid edit occurred early in the episode where some footage was repeated (I think it was in Koenig's office). I then angrily took the tape out of the VCR!

I guess in those pre-internet days, I assumed the channel's original aim at airing shows unedited was still going to be honored. This was, of course, before USA Network swooped in and took ownership of the channel pre-launch.

I remember also being ticked that their original pledge of airing Doctor Who "from the start" ended up being just the same old Tom Baker package, beginning with "Robot."

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
"The Spy With My Face" is actually an hour long episode - which aired in B&W - in Color with additional footage to pad out the running time. So it was planned to be expanded into a feature since the show was airing in B&W at the time.

"To Trap a Spy" is the original unaired color pilot "Solo" with additional footage to also pad out the running time.

"One Spy Too Many" is The "Alexander The Greater Affair" with additional new footage - the original 2-parter was pulled from the TV packages and only available in the movie format (in MGM TV movie packages) until the uncut 2-part version surfaced in the 1990's thanks to Turner.

The other 5 films didn't turn up stateside till after Turner had the MGM library in the 1990's.
The Spy With My Face was The Double Affair with extra footage from the Four Steps Affair.

For decades there were 6 UNCLE episodes unavailable in their original form. The above mentioned 2, the pilot, The Vulcan Affair, The 2-part Alexander The Greater and The Pieces of Fate Affair (legal reasons).

I actually have 4 versions of the pilot. The black and white air version, the movie version, a color one-hour version which was put into syndication in the 80s, with 2nd season opening credits, and the Solo pilot version.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The Spy With My Face was The Double Affair with extra footage from the Four Steps Affair.

For decades there were 6 UNCLE episodes unavailable in their original form. The above mentioned 2, the pilot, The Vulcan Affair, The 2-part Alexander The Greater and The Pieces of Fate Affair (legal reasons).

I actually have 4 versions of the pilot. The black and white air version, the movie version, a color one-hour version which was put into syndication in the 80s, with 2nd season opening credits, and the Solo pilot version.

I've never seen the color syndicated version of the pilot - was it the same version as the B&W aired version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks