...had a theatrical release in Europe.

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Was there scene which shows Baltar being beheaded ?
That scene where Baltar is arguing with the Imperious Leader about his colony being destroyed against their agreement.

In the TV version, they get to the centurion drawing his sword, but then he re-sheathes it. The leader says "no, remove him for public execution." The movie version has the cylon draw the sword completely while Baltar yells "no you still need me -aaagghh!" and the camera swish pans away as the swrod reaches his throat. Here are a few versions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
an overseas edit of two episodes of "The Lieutenant" gave us new scenes with Anne Helm and the rough way Gary Lockwood treats her totally destroyed the likability of his character)
I hated that movie version.

If memory serves, it wasn’t actually a two part episode. I think it was a single part season/series finale that they then shot additional material for, in addition to borrowing some stuff from earlier episodes. I just look at it as an alternate version or an unrelated adaptation, rather than being part of the series’ continuity. Lockwood’s character is better in the series, and the series itself is more optimistic and hopeful than the film. The film version I just found to be a total downer.

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
This is an interesting thread, because this practice has been going on for almost 60 years, at least. MGM and MGM Television definitely did this as a revenue-generating measure. There was a one-season MGM-produced US tv show in 1961-62 entitled Cain's Hundred that combined episodes which became several "international" movies, including The Crimebusters. Dorothy Dandridge's last film, The Murder Men was shown as part of this episodic series, though in one place says it was a film first and then became part of the tv show, but the Films of MGM book says otherwise.

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Speaking of MGM, various episodes of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." yielded eight different films that played in theaters outside the U.S. All were derived from two-part episodes of the show. Some had additional footage shot for the theatrical version. They were:

- The Spy With My Face
- To Trap a Spy
- One Spy Too Many
- One of Our Spies Is Missing
- The Spy In the Green Hat
- The Karate Killers
- Helicopter Spies
- How To Steal the World

The first three of these played in U.S. theaters as well.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Here in Canada, the pilot for the original Battlestar Gallactica was shown in the theatre...
It was released here in August, before the series started its run. I think it was released in the US, as well, but not until after the show was cancelled. Buck Rogers also received a theatrical release the winter before the series aired.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Here in Canada, the pilot for the original Battlestar Gallactica was shown in the theatre. It had much more adult content. I remember being surprised at the difference when it appeared as the first show of the series.
There was a scene where two characters are making out in an air lock or some such place and a jealous female blasts them with steam. In the movie version, they are definitely making out. On TV they just exchange a chaste kiss.
In the version you saw, Starbuck has his shirt off, so it's more obvious, as you say, what is going on. On the TV version, he's still fully-clothed. I'm not sure, but I think he may have still been clothed in the version that later played in US cinemas (and came out on home video).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
In the version you saw, Starbuck has his shirt off, so it's more obvious, as you say, what is going on. On the TV version, he's still fully-clothed. I'm not sure, but I think he may have still been clothed in the version that later played in US cinemas (and came out on home video).
That's correct. The "shirt-off" Starbuck was only in that initial version and I don't think even the footage of that has been seen since I don't think it's in any of the deleted scenes supplements on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Of course Galactica also had the mashed together "Mission Galactica-The Cylon Attack" combined from "Living Legend" and "Fire in Space" which had a theatrical release. That was separate from the mashed-together "telemovies" that initially aired in syndication and combined all the single part episodes into two hour "features", but the original two-part episodes were left alone and even expanded with scenes shot but cut from the original broadcast, which is why those versions are highly prized items.

There was also the dreadful "Conquest Of The Earth" re-edit of several "Galactica 1980" episodes.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiev7385