What's new

Had a nightmare last night... (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I did someone a favor (don't know what; predated the dream,) and they rewarded me with a display.

It was a 70" direct-view CRT.

Now, to my knowledge, no one ever made anything larger than the Mitsu ~40" displays in the mid 1990s... and I had the dubious pleasure of helping about eight other people lift one of those suckers up onto a 54" high pedestal. Can anyone imagine/estimate how much a 70" picture tube would weigh?

If it helps (hah!) I seem to recall it having a flattish screen (much weaker for the weight than a "bubble" screen...)

And no, I have no idea what caused it; I didn't think I was feverish...

Leo Kerr

Rolando

Screenwriter
I don't care if I had to hire a work unit with a giant lift to get it on a special stand (that can hold that much weight) in my cinema room!

Can you imagine the picture on that baby!

now you have me DREAMING!!!

as long as it is 16:9 HDTV of course :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Leo

Actually, Sony had a 43 inch direct view CRT...I saw it in about 1990 and it was being carried by 4 guys on something that looked like 2 long poles with a sling sort of thing...I would guess that it weighed about 450 pounds...

Happy New Year

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm still watching my 40-inch Mitsubishi, haven't found the right 16x9 set yet- ideally I'd like a non-projection TV that will give me the same size 4x3 picture with a wider 16x9 picture, but don't know if that's ever gonna happen. I've moved this thing 3 times over the past 10 years, hopefully I won't have to move it again!

Anyways, I heard that Mitsubishi came up with a 50-inch picture tube, but the Japanese government wouldn't let them sell it because of the explosion it would make if dropped. I sometimes have nightmares of mine falling onto the floor and exploding.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Implosion, the tube would implode, not explode because it's under a vacuum.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I am currently watching the Sony 40 inch HD direct view (I thought it was the largest, didn't know they ever made a 43 inch.) It weighs, according to the instruction manual 286 pounds, although I've seen it mentioned elsewhere as weighing 350 pounds, excluding the stand that you HAVE to have with it.
It is 4x3, but will show 16x9 material. It does have a great picture except that the blacks and shadows all run together. Did your fever dream have HDMI? The lack of that is what will make us upgrade from this behemoth in a year or so, and I'm already having nightmares as to how to get rid of it.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The effect would be somewhat the same as an explosion since many of the glass fragments will miss each other when "sucked" into what was the middle of the tube and then go flying out past what was the other side of the tube.

>>> 286 vs. 350 lb.
Is it the tube itself that weighs 286 lb. while the entire TV set weighs 350?

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Yes, sometimes I have odd dreams.

I'm a little surprised I can still remember "visions" of it. The bad news was it was a 4:3 set. I never saw the back side. Retrospectively, of course, there was also the beauty of dreams: the space I saw it in could not possibly allow the device to fit, even with the ultra-short-neck tubes. Space just wasn't deep enough.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks