Had a Marantz sr7200. Should I jump to SR8200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey O, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Jeffrey O

Jeffrey O Auditioning

A few weeks ago I purchased a Marantz SR7200. Out of the box, I've been having many of the same problems that have been plaguing other people on this board: intermittent popping between tracks when listening to a CD through the optical digital input or pausing a DVD; loss of vertical hold on the S-Video signal when bright flashes appear on the screen; and 1/4 second to 1 second drop-outs when a digital signal first begins playing. I swapped the unit I received for one fresh out of a new box at my dealer, and the new unit exhibits the exact same problems.

I'm clearly going to return the SR7200 and get another receiver. My question is which one. My dealer doesn't carry Denon or Onkyo, so if I switched to one of those brands I'd need to go to another dealer. If I switched brands, I'd lean toward the Onkyo 696 based purely on features -- I haven't listened to it since my dealer doesn't carry Onkyo. I'd like to be able to add a second set of main speakers to the system, and had gravitated toward the SR7200 since it had A/B speaker switching. The Onkyo 696 also has a second set of main speaker outs.

My dealer has offered to give me a deal on the Marantz SR8200 -- $1300 -- to avoid my returning the SR7200 and buying from another store. My question is: is it worth it? I'm concerned about the quality control problems I've been having with my unit and don't want to go down the SR8200 road if I'm going to have similar problems with that unit. Also, I'm not sure whether the SR8200 is worth the $600 price difference from the SR7200. On the other hand, I like the fact that the SR8200 can assign dedicated amplifiers to the second set of speakers. Anyone who's bought or checked out the SR8200 care to comment?

Thanks in advance!

--Jeff

2. James D

James D Second Unit

I had a 7200 and returned it also. I'm in the same boat as you and I am leaning toward the 8200. Scan this board for threads on the 8200. There has been a few threads about the 8200 in the last few days and the word is that it is a great piece. Marantz supposedly worked out all of the bugs of the 7200 and the 8200 comes with a very nice remote. If I pick up the 8200, I'll post my impressions in this thread.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Jeff, I did exactly what you are talking about doing. I went from a 7200 to an 8200. I have no regrets. The 8200 is a better all-around unit. It doesn't have the problems that the 7200 has (at least on MY unit anyway.) The power/sound/feature set/remote/detachable power cord/heavier duty binding posts, etc. make it worth the additional $$ to me! This baby runs as cool as a cucumber... [​IMG]
    GO FOR IT!!!
    Pete

4. Jeffrey O

Jeffrey O Auditioning

Dear Pete:

Thanks for the info. One of my concerns about the SR8200 is that it's a fair amount larger than the SR7200. I have it on a shelf in a wall unit with an open front. I can probably arrange to have 3-4 inches (up to 8 inches maximum) of open space above it. Based on your unit, would that be enough? Does the SR8200 have a fan?

Also, one of the features listed about the SR8200 that intrigued me was that it had some method of automatically setting the programmed distance between the speakers. How does that work?

Thanks in advance.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'd love to have this receiver also. Its out my price range though. I don't think it is on the same platform as the other 7200 and below models. It is probably a different design almost entirely. I haven't heard any problems with the receivers. For 2.5 times what I paid for my 6200, I can't justify or afford it. Oh well. Let us know how it goes it you pick one up [​IMG]

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Wow, it seems alot of people are in this boat. I actually purchased a 7200 to replace my sr-7000, I was waiting for my wall unit to come in to set it up. Well I started reading all the bad press about it and decided if I was going to upgrade I want it to be better not worse. So I took it back to the place I purchased it at. I was just going to get my money back when they made me an offer I just couldn't refuse. I just wanted a good deal on the 8200 but he skipped right over that and offered me the 9200 for only $1800! I had no hesitation about it. I should be getting it next week. I will let you guy's know what I think. And as far as the same problems as the 7200 goes, from what I have heard and read, the 82 and the 9200 are totally different compared to the rest of the 200 series. Different components, parts build quality. And I have heard that any of the bugs that the 7200 had do not show up in these models. I hope that is true.

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    $1800 for the 9200[​IMG]
    That is a killer price!!!!
    I would buy it for that price!!

8. Pete Jennings

Jeff, don't let 3 to 4 inches bother you. I have a Vantage Point rack, open on all sides with 9 1/4" shelf spacing, giving me 2" of clearance above the unit. That doggone 8200 doesn't get very warm at all, even when I push it HARD. I checked with my dealer prior to putting it on the middle shelf, because I really didn't want it on top - I would have had to move my Scooby-Doo figure!!! [​IMG] He said 2" was fine, even when I mentioned the possibility of putting it on the top shelf if necessary.
    The 8200 has fewer and smaller vent openings on top than the 7200, and one on the right side that the 7200 didn't have. The Pioneer Elite 26TX I had prior to the 7200/8200 ran WAYYYY hotter than the Marantz stuff.
    Go for it!
    Pete

9. Tim_N

Tim_N Auditioning

My dealer also told me that the 8200 and 9200 were a completely different line from the lower models - different factory, higher quality parts, etc. So he was confident that the 7200 problems would not show up in those models. Hearing them back-to-back, the 8200 sounded significantly better to my rather untrained ears.

10. Pete Jennings

The 8200/9200's are made in Japan, unlike the lower x200's.

Pete

11. Jeffrey O

Jeffrey O Auditioning

Just wanted to let everyone know that I bit the bullet and upgraded to the SR8200 last weekend. My B&M dealer cut me a deal and sold it to me for $1300, which I figured was a reasonable deal for a solid, no-hassle, high-service B&M audio/video dealer.

So far, I've had none of the problems I had with both of my SR7200s. Sound quality may be marginally better, but I'm not sure I hear much of a difference. At any rate, the unit seems to be built a fair amount better. Also, the Cinema-ReEQ feature (which I think comes along with the THX technologies) is really nice -- it removes some of the harshness I used to hear out of the center channel when watching movies.

--Jeff

12. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have the 8200 and I have been getting the drop outs (optical input) whenever

1-I start a DVD

2-I change chapters on a DVD

3-the DVD changes layers

I also have the delays with my Playstation 2. I'm waiting for an answer from Marantz.

13. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Returning a disaster of a receiver (7200) and pouring hundreds more into one of their higher line models doesn't completely make sense to me. The higher end Marantz models such as the SR 19 were not worth the money and the top model was way overpriced at $4,200.

Until Marantz gets its act together I'd go with something else. With Denon 4802 apparently available for $1,600 that is the one to beat.

14. Patrick Senez

Tom_Mack and all,

Like I mentionned in other threads, the 8200 and the 9200 also have the audio drop-out bug but it seems to be less noticable. A Marantz representative told me this on the phone. The problem is being looked at in Japan. I'm suppose to have an answer as to if they will fix it in a couple of weeks...

I'm a 5200 owner and I cannot understand how a company with a reputation like Marantz brought to market a line of receiver with such a big design flaw. It's unacceptable...

Happy New Year !

Bonne Année !