Had a crappy experience with comcast cable...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Mack, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hi Y'all

Me and the fiancee are in our new digs in Berkeley and we had an appointment for cable installation between 4-6pm today. I called this morning to ask if I could augment our order with a box for HD, (in NYC, HD does not require a 2nd box, just one specific model) and they said that they couldn't change the order without cancelling the current one and rescheduling til' tom'w as they couldn't contact the installer. They suggested to just ask him if he had the supplemental box in his truck. Fine, I thought.
    Well 4-6pm came and went and no cable guy and no phone call. My fiancee and I had plans this eve. and we were now getting kind of pressed for time. So at 6:35 I phoned Comcast and was on hold for a bit, then I got a c. service rep and quickly told him what was up. He asked me for my info. and then he told me to hold. I held for 10 minutes!!! Then a new person came on and I had to give my info. AGAIN and she said that they were running behind and he could be there anytime up until 8pm. 1) How did she know he was running behind if they had no way to talk with their installer when in the field and 2) How did she know at all how long it might take him to show? I feel that while I was on hold, they contacted the guy and found out what his situation was.
    Well anyways, I said that this was unacceptable and since I had been here through the whole installation window and now 45 minutes past, that I deserved some consideration. I said that I needed to cancel and reschedule. She said, "Fine, but if you cancel, the next available appointment is TUESDAY!!!!" Even though they DO install on saturdays. I thought this was very unfair as it was completely their fault and they didn't even have the good customer sevice sense to call me when they were running this late. I told her that I thought that they should cater to ME now and come tomorrow for the installation since I had already wasted one whole afternoon because of their incompetence. She said, "Sorry, we don't have enough installers and there are no appointments until tuesday."

I was livid, now. I tried the squeeze play and said that I think I will just cancel the installation altogether because of the terrible customer service this early in the business relationship and just go with DirecTV (who are cheaper anyways) I felt that right away fearing a lost account, she would pull a string and get us an appointment tomorrow or even a month of cable comped or ANYTHING. All she said was, "Well, I'm sorry sir."

What crappy customer service. Screw them. We will go with a dish network. With this attitude, it's no WONDER why so many people steal cable.

grrrrr........

And you know what? They bloody well charge enough $$$ for cable, hire some more damn installers!

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Man, Dave, sorry to hear this. [​IMG] Those people at Concast, or as I like to call them Plaza Cable (Seinfeld fans will know) are the most incompetant bunch of people on the globe. Well, next to Paramount, eh Dave? [​IMG]

I don't get it when they said that they couldn't contact the installer in the field, I mean is he on some secret mission somewhere, on assignment for the CIA and only the president knows his whereabouts or what? Does he not have a CB or company radio in the truck? What about a cell phone?

In this day and age everyone can be contacted no matter where they are, no excuse there IMO.

Anyway, sorry about your experience, that sucks. [​IMG] But good luck with getting it all sorted out and your HD up and running! [​IMG]

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Oh man, I absolutely DREAD when I have to call Comcast! Such idiots! But due to many trees within the low line of sight for satellite when we live we can't switch over to dish (we had Dish Network years ago) and are basically stuck with cable. I've ranted on other boards about Comcrap's phone service before and now just hope nothing happens where I'll have to call them again...

4. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    That sucks, Dave, but I imagine there are horror stories pertaining to customer service for just about major corporation. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but I've never had any issues with Comcast in the three+ years I've had cable and internet service through them. Timely installation, never more than 3-4 minutes to speak to somebody, and very polite service representatives.

But don't get me started on Qwest...

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Cable companies still act like they are monopolies. They raise their rates every year at twice the rate of inflation, and have lousy service. I went to DirecTV years ago, and have never regretted it. Plus, I get a BIG smile every year when the paper details their excessive rate hikes (my satellite costs more now than it did years ago when I first got it, but not an unreasonable increase).

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Over the past six years I've had a dozen or so appointments with Comcast to have my cable or internet service installed or serviced and they've always been on time. Considering per minute charges I know better than to call their customer service line on a cell phone but overall I've been satisfied with their service.
    Rather than saying they 'couldn't contact the installer' it would have been better to say that the installer would give you the box if he had it. Likewise I can see how an installation schedule in NYC would be less reliable than one in central Indiana. At least they were honest about not having any available appointments on Saturday, if the csa would have tried to squeeze you into a non existent appointment then you quite possibly would have wasted the day waiting on an installer that never shows up.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, I think that some companies don't normally work on Saturdays, but do work to get caught up on whatever got screwed up during the last 5 days.

Some areas have some sort of a CATV regulatory board. If any city has that, Berkeley would. You can bend their ear and they'll probably bend their's a WHOLE lot more than you expected.

Glenn

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Waiting for Verizon's FIOS service to come to my area, then I'll definitely get rid of Comcast once and for all.

9. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

I had comcast come to my place a few years ago( they were late) to install the new boxes . In my case Just drop them off becasue there was no way that they were getting near my system. Well he said that he had to go upstairs ( i live in a Building) and connect something in the closet. He came back about 10 minutes later and said I was all set. A week later I got a letter from the condo guy saying I owe for the Broken door in the Cable closet. The Cable Guy Broke the Lock on the door and I had to pay for it. [​IMG]

I tried to have comcast pay for it but since I had no proof I couldnt do anything[​IMG]

I feel your pain

10. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Maybe we ought to write to the Justice Department and tell them we have a couple more monopolies for them to break up - Cumcost and Qworst - although they did not do that great a job with MS. [​IMG]

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanx for the symapthy, guys! Not that Time Warner in NYC was any bargain but at least they never left me hanging with a "whatever" type attitude. I'm also surprised since comcast charges ALOT more apparently than sattelite and the cable industry has been LOSING subscribers to dish for years.

[​IMG] d

12. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    If Comcast in the Bay Area is anything like here in Sacramento or up in Seattle, about 90% or more of the installs are done by contractors. So the Comcast person might well not have been able to directly contact the installer, but only the contractor' dispatch. That could explain the long wait on hold. Doesn't make it right, but that could be what was going on.

13. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I have Time Warner and although their prices are out of control, their service is very good. So I've pretty much settled in on Time Warner for all cable services. Next to leverage the cost of Road Runner, I'm getting ready to pull the plug on BellSouth and move to Vonage. For me cable seems to be winning the war with telephone lines.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Dave
    I think I can fill a thread with my tales of Comcast/Viacom/ATT/etc etc.
    I used to have them on speed dial and had the unlisted number of the trainer of the tech help.
    On top of horrible techs they cheated me on equipment I turned in never taking off the monthly fees.
    I smiled for a week when I turned their crap in and got directv!

15. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

What do you know, another complaint about Comcast. This seems to be running rampant lately. Fortunately, I've been able to avoide these guys for most of my time subscribing to cable, but I've heard enough complaints. The things I read last week about how the company addressed a customer as "Bitch Dog", I couldn't believe it. Where is the respect for customers?

16. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

In my numerous years of using comcast, I have never had any trouble with them. I did have some billing problems once, but that quickly got resolved and now I have a direct line to one of the account managers so I am set for now. I am supposed to a beta tester for one of their new boxes in our area. All in all, I like comcast.

17. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Let me just say that you guys are lucky to live in the States when it comes to Cable TV. Here, Rogers is crap. And we dont even have nearly as many choices as you. No Tivo, no DirectTV. It's either Rogers or Bell ExpressVu (which in my opinion is crap as well).

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I would think that satellite would open up a lot of options regardless of where you lived. Hearing you're predicament doesn't make mine seem all that bad anymore. [​IMG] Competition can help keep these guys in check.

19. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

In my numerous years of using comcast, I have never had any trouble with them. I did have some billing problems once, but that quickly got resolved and now I have a direct line to one of the account managers so I am set for now. I am supposed to a beta tester for one of their new boxes in our area. All in all, I like comcast.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My friend used to work for AT&T and when Comcast bought them out, he said that almost EVERYONE quit because of the way Comcast treated them.

I have Comcast, but I always LOVE telling them exactly how I feel. [​IMG] I love when I call and they try to get me to buy their internet services. I love saying "If your internet service is as crappy as your cable service, why in hell would I want that!!!???" [​IMG]

I can't wait for them to get me to buy their internet phone service. I would love to tell them (sarcastically) "No thanks, I'm off to buy a new car from Tonka".