What's new

HBO Max Hacks (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's way too hot in Albany, NY this weekend and I can't sleep. Searching for something to watch in the middle of the night, I happened upon this sitcom from the "Broad City" trio of Lucia Aniello, Paul W. Downs, and Jen Statsky on HBO Max. I'm four episodes in and it's my new obsession.

Ava Daniels (Hannah Einbinder) is a careless, entitled twentysomething comedy writer who has managed to burn every bridge she's come across.

Deborah Vance (Jean Smart) is a comedy legend, whose decades-long reign as the standup queen of the Las Vegas strip is finally being challenged.

Ava and Deborah share a manager, who pairs them together in the hopes of killing two birds with one stone. They dislike one another from the first moment they meet, but they also need one another in ways that they probably aren't even willing to admit to themselves.

Soon, Ava finds herself immersed in Deborah's world, which is more complicated than she could ever have anticipated. Slowly, Ava starts to provide utility to Deborah while Deborah teaches Ava how to be an adult, and what's required to survive as a woman in comedy.

Einbinder is strong as the baby boomer generation's stereotype of Millennials, but the show is Smart's through and through.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finished the season last night. Some great moments for both of the performers. I heard Smart talk about the series on NPR as it was premiering as Mare of Easttown was winding down.

Glad to hear Season 2 has been approved.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finished the season 1 episode as well, it's been fun ride.

Jean Smart is a national treasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexisMori
Recent bookmarks