What's new

Hacking a Pioneer DVL-909 to region free DVD playback - anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I own a Pioneer DVL-909 LD/DVD player. I've read about hacking it so that it'll be possible to play DVDs from all regions. The hack seems simple enough (involves blobbing some solder to connect two close-by points on the PCB), but I was wondering if anyone had done the hack and if it was successful in allowing them to play non-Region 1 DVDs.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Patrick -
I also have the Pioneer DVL-909 - Unfortunately though, I haven't tried this REGION FREE mod out either. Sorry :frowning:
I've thought about trying it a couple times - but never went any farther than searching "Google" to find out how.....
Lots of good info can be found:
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/DVL-909.htm
http://www.spies.com/~sairam/pioneer909/
Link Removed
Good Luck ! & If you do try this - be sure to let us all (me :) ) know how it turns out!
Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It is important to note that you need a player with an early firmware (I think mine is relatively new, 1.1 or 1.2) if you attempt the hack.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Try contacting Jim Banville, a member of this forum, for this. He has a complete kit that makes it fairly simple.

Jason_H

Second Unit
I did it to my old DVL-909. I just followed the directions I found on one of those sites...soldered a tiny piece of wire between two connections. Worked like a charm...until I realized it was all useless since I wanted to play PAL discs and needed a player to do PAL->NTSC conversion. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks