What's new

Habenero!! (1 Viewer)

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
So my parents go to Mexico and bring me back a bottle of Habenero hot sauce.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Umm this stuff is kind of hot... me and my roommate are in a lot of pain. I mean we are really in a lot of pain we only put a couple of drops on a cracker and it burns. I like spicy stuff, but my god this stuff is death in liquid form it has taken 45 min for the pain to go away. My roommate thinks he met God and I think I can see through time. We tried milk, sugar, bread and a few other things. Anbody got any ideas on how to stop the pain? Or anybody got a horror story about spicy food.:frowning:

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
My brother gave me a jar of Ass Kicking Jelly Beans for Christmas one year. Burns the hell out of your tongue, doesn't it? Best advice is to not eat it. They sure don't use it in Mexico, at least from what I've seen.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Why would you want to stop the pain?? Have another lightly dabbed cracker, and let the endorphins flow. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yeah, just slurp that hot sauce down and enjoy the ride. Habaneros, and all chiles for that matter, are precious gifts to humanity.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
anybody got a horror story about spicy food.
I love to make very hot chili on occasion when my buddies come over to watch a football or basketball game. There is one winter incident I will never forget. I had been drinking quite a few beers while preparing my chili. Having just chopped up a variety of chili's and peppers, I realized that I had to go to the bathroom. Well, I forgot to wash my hands first and a certain part of my anatomy was burning for hours after that - very unpleasant! :b

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
First off, here's the reason why the burning goes on for hours:

"The active ingredient causing the intense burning pain is the alkaloid capsaicin (cap-SAY-sin). So potent is the alkaloid that one millionth of a drop can be detected by the human tongue. Capsaicin is not broken down during the digestion process--this is why you often get burned several hours later after dining on chile peppers."

Dairy products can bring some relief, but with habaneros it probably won't bring the kind of relief you're looking for. Next time try building up your tolerance over a period of weeks first starting off with some Anaheim, then going to jalapeno, serrano, then some cayenne before tackling those habaneros. If you can get your tolerance up, habaneros actually have a unique flavor. I like to put some habanero sauce in every homemade batch of salsa I make along with about 3 other kinds of chile peppers. The layering effect can make for a complex taste that puts those grocery store offerings to shame. Yep, we like our chiles down here in the Desert Southwest. If you ever find yourself in New Mexico during Labor Day weekend, make sure you check out the Hatch Chile Festival. And take home a ristra while you're there.

"Chile is not going to come and go, like kiwi fruit. It's going to stay, like rock'n'roll."

-- Paul Bosland, "Mr. Chileman," New Mexico State University

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Dang,I just made a pot of chili the other night..Now I want MORE.I have kids so I do not make it too hot,I just add about 10 serano peppers and use the hot and spicy beans for a nice little boost.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
Sal, you are a man after my own heart. I'm impressed with you pepper knowledge and I love Tucson! I was hiking in the Saguaro National Park just 2 weeks ago and I eventually plan to move to Tucson.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I ordered some of that Red Savina stuff. I can't wait to try it. How much should I put in a medium-sized pot of chili if I don't want to die?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Habaneros are my favorite flavoring chili, as they don't overpower in anything but heat. There are a lot of great hot sauces based on habenero that taste really good, especially mustard based ones.
They do take some getting used to but are worth it. :)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Chris, you think its hot now on your tongue. Wait till tomorrow when it will be hot ...um....somewhere else.
betty_fire_red.gif

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
There's a reason Habaneros are know as the hottest peppers around. They're good, but a little goes a long way.
Jalapeños are probably the best pepper to eat regularly. They're extremely tasty and somewhere around medium on the heat scale. Throw a bunch of jalapeños in the dish with a dash of habanero sauce and you're all set.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
O.K. it is now mid afternoon the ring of fire has come and gone(...the horror...the horror). Actually the burning last night wasn't that bad(especially compared to the burning this morning). I just haven't had something that actually caused pain in about 5 years. I regullary make a spaghetti sauce that has about 5 serano's, 3 jalepenos, 2 thai bird's eyes, and half a cup of tabasco sauce. MMMM it tastes like burning
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
BTW this was a fermented habenero sauce prepared the same way as tabasco. I can't wait to make a salsa and a spaghetti sauce out of this liquid death juice. Now I want to meet the mad genius who thought of this stuff(not sure if I would shake his hand or slap him silly)
Well time for another round of habenero death sauce let the burning and endorphins begin.:D

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how the hell everyone can eat that stuff. The "hot" sauce at Taco Time is more than I can handle on some days.

Man I'm a wimp,

Mike

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
You guys should come to Minnesota sometime. The closest thing to a hot pepper around here is an overcooked green bean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks