Habenero!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris_sharpe, Nov 21, 2001.

1. chris_sharpe

chris_sharpe Stunt Coordinator

So my parents go to Mexico and bring me back a bottle of Habenero hot sauce.
    [​IMG]
    Umm this stuff is kind of hot... me and my roommate are in a lot of pain. I mean we are really in a lot of pain we only put a couple of drops on a cracker and it burns. I like spicy stuff, but my god this stuff is death in liquid form it has taken 45 min for the pain to go away. My roommate thinks he met God and I think I can see through time. We tried milk, sugar, bread and a few other things. Anbody got any ideas on how to stop the pain? Or anybody got a horror story about spicy food.[​IMG]

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

My brother gave me a jar of Ass Kicking Jelly Beans for Christmas one year. Burns the hell out of your tongue, doesn't it? Best advice is to not eat it. They sure don't use it in Mexico, at least from what I've seen.

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Why would you want to stop the pain?? Have another lightly dabbed cracker, and let the endorphins flow. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yeah, just slurp that hot sauce down and enjoy the ride. Habaneros, and all chiles for that matter, are precious gifts to humanity.

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Just keep eating, pretty soon you'll get used to it and start looking for www.redsavina.com [​IMG]
    Even in the cold climate of Stockholm, I still manage to grow them in my kitchen window [​IMG]

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

7. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

First off, here's the reason why the burning goes on for hours:

"The active ingredient causing the intense burning pain is the alkaloid capsaicin (cap-SAY-sin). So potent is the alkaloid that one millionth of a drop can be detected by the human tongue. Capsaicin is not broken down during the digestion process--this is why you often get burned several hours later after dining on chile peppers."

Dairy products can bring some relief, but with habaneros it probably won't bring the kind of relief you're looking for. Next time try building up your tolerance over a period of weeks first starting off with some Anaheim, then going to jalapeno, serrano, then some cayenne before tackling those habaneros. If you can get your tolerance up, habaneros actually have a unique flavor. I like to put some habanero sauce in every homemade batch of salsa I make along with about 3 other kinds of chile peppers. The layering effect can make for a complex taste that puts those grocery store offerings to shame. Yep, we like our chiles down here in the Desert Southwest. If you ever find yourself in New Mexico during Labor Day weekend, make sure you check out the Hatch Chile Festival. And take home a ristra while you're there.

"Chile is not going to come and go, like kiwi fruit. It's going to stay, like rock'n'roll."

-- Paul Bosland, "Mr. Chileman," New Mexico State University

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

You guys are makin' me hungry... [​IMG]

9. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Dang,I just made a pot of chili the other night..Now I want MORE.I have kids so I do not make it too hot,I just add about 10 serano peppers and use the hot and spicy beans for a nice little boost.

10. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

Sal, you are a man after my own heart. I'm impressed with you pepper knowledge and I love Tucson! I was hiking in the Saguaro National Park just 2 weeks ago and I eventually plan to move to Tucson.

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I ordered some of that Red Savina stuff. I can't wait to try it. How much should I put in a medium-sized pot of chili if I don't want to die?

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Habaneros are my favorite flavoring chili, as they don't overpower in anything but heat. There are a lot of great hot sauces based on habenero that taste really good, especially mustard based ones.
    They do take some getting used to but are worth it. [​IMG]

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Chris, you think its hot now on your tongue. Wait till tomorrow when it will be hot ...um....somewhere else. [​IMG]

14. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Habaneros are for wimps. Try eating some Scotch Bonnets before you complain.......
    [​IMG]

17. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    There's a reason Habaneros are know as the hottest peppers around. They're good, but a little goes a long way.
    Jalapeños are probably the best pepper to eat regularly. They're extremely tasty and somewhere around medium on the heat scale. Throw a bunch of jalapeños in the dish with a dash of habanero sauce and you're all set.[​IMG]

18. chris_sharpe

chris_sharpe Stunt Coordinator

O.K. it is now mid afternoon the ring of fire has come and gone(...the horror...the horror). Actually the burning last night wasn't that bad(especially compared to the burning this morning). I just haven't had something that actually caused pain in about 5 years. I regullary make a spaghetti sauce that has about 5 serano's, 3 jalepenos, 2 thai bird's eyes, and half a cup of tabasco sauce. MMMM it tastes like burning[​IMG].
    BTW this was a fermented habenero sauce prepared the same way as tabasco. I can't wait to make a salsa and a spaghetti sauce out of this liquid death juice. Now I want to meet the mad genius who thought of this stuff(not sure if I would shake his hand or slap him silly)
    Well time for another round of habenero death sauce let the burning and endorphins begin.[​IMG]

19. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how the hell everyone can eat that stuff. The "hot" sauce at Taco Time is more than I can handle on some days.

Man I'm a wimp,

Mike

20. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

You guys should come to Minnesota sometime. The closest thing to a hot pepper around here is an overcooked green bean.