Ha Ha Ha...VERY Funny! re: Widescreen Cats & Dogs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 11, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Since I posted my story in a bunch of threads, then anyone bothering to read this probably knows that I finally got the Widescreen edition of Cats & Dogs this past Tuesday.
    Best Buy finally got it in, and was the first in Memphis to get it. The info that they were getting it came to me from one of BB's buyers, a couple of days before via e-mail (this was after I was in touch with their corporate office complaining that the store had refused to issue me a raincheck for the $17.99 sale price the week of 10/16, when the Full Screen edition hit, and the WS was *supposed* to originally hit, too).
    So guess what just went on sale today (11/11th)?
    Yep. [​IMG] Cats & Dogs. Either AR version is on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy, starting today. That's three off the regular price of $22.99.
    Point is this: Widescreen Cats & Dogs should be in stock at all Best Buys!
    Of course, no promises from me!...I can't guarantee nothing. But if you've checked Best Buy before, check again. Get a rain check if they don't have it...they have no excuse now! [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm not complaining about the $3. Not only did the store mgr. give me the original $5 off on another DVD, but corporate sent me a $25 Gift Certificate to make up for the whole thing. I essentially got my C&D for more-than-free, so I got some great bargains on two other titles in the process. It's funny that it's on sale NOW, but oh, well.
    But: you guys who don't have it yet, get going!
    Mods, the reason that I'm posting this here rather than in the "Coupons and Bargains" section is because I'm discussing AVAILABILITY of this title, rather than so much the PRICE. What I'm saying is that - for those who don't have it yet, want it, and have a Best Buy in the area, now's a good time to go. I know many of you are still posting complaints that you can't get it, so I hope this helps!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

YES, this helps! Thanks, I will be picking it up today!

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I'm going to Best Buy in one hour with my $17.99 raincheck to pick this up! [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would call ahead before going to your Best Buy. The one near me yesterday still did not have copies of the widescreen version. I have no interest to purchase this title but I checked none the less just to see how Best Buy was handling the situation. I just hope they do not have similar problems regarding Wonka widescreen.
    J

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I keep reading about how people can't find the Widescreen version of Cats & Dogs so I've been looking in the stores I go into. Know what? I've yet to see a non-widescreen version in 4 different stores (3 different chains).
    So I guess you know why you can't find the WS version, right? It's because they were all sent to Canada [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Want to see your favorite show on DVD?
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/redirect.cfm?BannerID=8

6. Jim Badger

Jim Badger Agent

Well, I went to two BB's here in Orange County CA yesterday and all they have is the P&S crap still. Same thing with Circuit City. [​IMG]

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Just came back with Cats & Dogs(WS) for $17.99
    Kudos to Best Buy!
    ------------------

8. Stephen_Coghill

This seems to be a West Coast vs. East Coast as far as distribution is concerned. None found here in the Washington D.C. area. The Best Buy near me has the sign up for the Widescreen version, but only Pan & Scam to be found in the display. Talk about false advertising...
    ------------------
    Stephen C. Coghill
    www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
    www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

9. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

They are out here in the DC area, at least. The Best Buy at Pentagon Center had quite a few (not as much as that other 'inferior') version, though. But it's there...
    Rafael

10. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

The local Best Buy has had the widescreen version for at least 2 weeks now. They actually have a complete separate display for them, which makes them hard to find because they aren't in the alphabetical rows.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

After a particularly cranky encounter with several BB drones, I just gave up and ordered from DVD Empire at about the same cost as the BB sale price. Piss on 'em. I expect the same situation will follow with the widescreen Wonka.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

12. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Quote: "After a particularly cranky encounter with several BB drones, I just gave up and ordered from DVD Empire at about the same cost as the BB sale price. Piss on 'em."
    I have a good friend who works the front end at a Best Buy in the Midwest. He often encounters the "piss on 'em" types in a typical day and tries to handle them with good grace and patience.
    This gentleman suggests--without rancor--that people should simply take a humility pill before they go to Best Buy. Not surprisingly, he says, most Best Buy staffers work pretty hard. And while they might not know every detail of the specific product YOU are an expert on, they generally try to help you in whatever manner they can. To paraphrase him slightly, he simply says to give these people a break and quit taking yourself and your desire to have that DVD right-goddam-now so seriously. It's just a DVD. You'll live.
    I think my friend is on to something here. To say "piss on 'em" just contributes to the overall decay of the relationship between a store and its customers. Frankly, I find the attitude offensive, and I will ALWAYS take the side of a store clerk when I encounter one of these "piss on 'em" types abusing their privilege as a customer.
    [Edited last by Bill Balcziak on November 12, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

13. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'm a Best Buy Drone (although, as a Star Wars Nut, I prefer the term "salesdroid")!
    At my store last week, we recieved a small shipment of the widescreen Cats & Dogs discs, and I was finally able to do something with the P&S versions:
    I pissed on 'em!
    [​IMG]
    -mwb-
    ------------------
    Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
    Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
    Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
    May 22, 2002

14. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Bill,
    I partially agree with your post. I go to my local Best Buy enough to start to know the "day crew" of the DVD section. One of these guys has even taken a film course over the summer and they show a real fondness of OAR DVDs and actually understand home theater and DVD.
    However, at this same store I have been in there when the "evening crew" (read that as young kids) is working and actually had to explain when some DVDs are going to come out next week, as well as been a "pissing" match over the fact that a widescreen DVD version of Cats & Dogs is coming out. I even calmly brought back a picture of Cats & Dogs with the WIDESCREEN VERSION label at the top of the DVD front cover to educate this salesman and he dismissed it as an error, and stated again to me that their is "No widescreen version available or coming for Cats & Dogs". Imagine his surprise when he had to start stocking widescreen versions of Cats & Dogs a few nights later. I ended up buying the widescreen version last Friday morning, but I sure wish I could have seen his face.
    Again, I have nothing against any Best Buys employees. And I have the upmost respect for the employees that take pride in their job and do care about knowing their product. However, their is no excuse for some employees to act as ignorant as some of them do.
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater

15. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Quote: "And I have the upmost respect for the employees that take pride in their job and do care about knowing their product. However, their is no excuse for some employees to act as ignorant as some of them do."
    There are a million anecdotes about bad salespeople. I could share some stories that would curl your toes. But the majority--the VAST majority--of salespeople I encounter are pretty nice folks and work pretty hard for pretty low wages.
    Yes, there may be a lot of bad salespeople out there, but it's the customers who act like spoiled brats who really trouble me. Let's face it--if these self-important cretins had to spend even a day or two serving customers in a Best Buy, they'd have a little more patience the next time they were on the other side of the counter whining about some inconsequential DVD release. Take away their self-importance and lack of empathy for salespeople, and you'd see a lot fewer "cranky encounters with...drones."

16. David Lambert

Unfortunately, I was asking in Best Buy today as to whether the WS version of Wonka will be in-store tomorrow, as scheduled by WB.
    The lovely lady there found the entry in their inventory system readily enough. However, none on-hand waiting in the back for street date. None shown on-order.
    Unless some get drop-shipped at the last moment, there will be no Wonka WS tomorrow, at least at MY local BB. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

17. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

18. David Lambert

Good news! The music store that TRIED (without success) to get me a WS copy of Cats & Dogs...has copies in-stock right now of WS Wonka! I'm off to go get one, assuming there's no mistake from the teenie-bopper who I talked to. I'll let you all know how it is!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

19. David Lambert