H.R. Pufnstuf DVD review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JustinCleveland, Feb 4, 2004.

1. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I haven't seen this elsewhere on the Internet, so I thought I'd give you all a first look.

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/H.R._P...e7d84c0e9e41e6

It's the first time I'd ever seen the show, so fans be gentle with me. A few video problems aside, which I think came from cramming too many episodes onto one disc, these are well worth picking up, especially for those of you who want to send the message that a Bugaloos set would be appreciated!

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Excellent review, Justin, of a DVD set I'd NEVER purchase!

I still get nightmares about Sigmund the Sea Monster! Those Krofft fellas scarred me for life! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    Thanks, Scott. I've never seen any of the Krofft shows before, being a child of the 80s. But I could see how people could have nightmares!

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Gord has also reviewed this, by the way.

5. JustinCleveland

Justin Cleveland
    I see that, but he says the audio is presented in Mono, something my discs certainly aren't. I also thought the audio quality was a lot better than he did, so I'm curious if he got an early check disc, and I got final product.

BTW, Gord, let me know if you were able to find the "News Footage of the Stolen Freddie Flute." I couldn't.

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

You know, it's funny you should say that. Years ago Billie Hayes made an appearance on some awards show as Witchipoo. I'd heard about it and was looking forward to it. "Yay! Witchipoo's comin'!"

Then when she came running out in her costume with those big white circles around her eyes, looking exactly like she had 20-25 years earlier, my stomach just flip-flopped -- it was like this sinking feeling of fear.

I didn't quite know what to make of my reaction, and puzzled over it for a while until I finally remembered that Witchipoo had scared me when I was a kid. I was four years old in 1969, when the show was first broadcast, and I loved it, but she did scare me a bit, her and her freaky cigar-smoking mushrooms.

Isn't that weird how you can completely forget about something like that, then when you're presented with it, everything you felt at the time comes rushing back to you?

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

PUFNSTUF, a 1970 feature film based on the series, was the very first movie I ever saw in a theatre at the age of 3.

I didn't see it again until a few years ago when Universal released it on VHS. They should do a DVD.

I could swear there was a special where PUFNSTUF danced and sang with the Brady Bunch and The Bay City Rollers back in the 70's too.

8. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

I believe there were several appearances by the character Puf'n Stuff on variety specials during the 1970s.

I remember that Puf 'n Stuff movie. I remember Jimmy wore a different outfit -- his shirt was orange rather than yellow. It was the story of how he came to land on Living Island, as I recall. It had Mama Cass playing Witchipoo's sister. I remember her speaking to Witchipoo on the phone, in a bathtub filled with fruit.

I'd love to have that on DVD as well.

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve, I think you are remembering this.

It's truly bizarre.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

One of the only VHS's I caved in and bought because it wasn't on laserdisc (DVD wasn't out yet when this came out.) Didn't get the one with the CD though. Truly priceless.
    HR Pufnstuf also shows up on the Brady Bunch Variety Hour DVD, which is great stuff but sadly ruined by compression!!

11. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

That is it, Brian!

12. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Any other opinions on the set?
    Anybody find the news footage about the stolen flute?

thanks.

13. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Which is absolutley bizzare that I am watching it right now on TVLAND! Johnny Wittaker(sp) RULES!

--Ian