What's new

H-pos and H-wid easy fix for overscan? (1 Viewer)

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Panasonic 47wx53 that is almost a month old and I've been waiting to try any convergence with the service menu for at least a month(I've been doing ALOT of research on the forums), BUT I wrote down all of my service menu settings and then played with the horizontal width and positioning a little because I noticed that when I watched 1080i DVDs with my Samsung that a seemingly large amount was being cropped off the sides, then I learned up about overscan (I learned a little, I guess). Now, when I watch a 1080i broadcast set in 4:3 ratio, I noticed the picture was about an inch off to the left (gauging the thickness of the black bars). So, I figured I would use the horizontal position variable to equal up the black bars on each side, then slowly bring out the h-width. Is this how most of you correct overscan, or is it much more than that(64point convergence, focus, etc)? I noticed an improvement in image size, but the first time I did this I think I went too far because the DVD showed red and green shadows on both sides of the TV. Believe me, I've got the horizontal width maxed out to where one more point bigger and there is obvious distortion. I'm waiting for my Digital Video Essentials disc, but I'm wondering if I am in the right ballpark??

Thanks,

Andy

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Andy,

Yeah, that's the first steps. Unfortunately, as you found out, changing the width (but usually not the position) of the image usually throws your geometry and convergence off. The red outlines you saw are from the convergence being thrown off. I wouldn't change the width unless you're up to doing a thorough geometry/convergence job on your set. Usually one or 2 clicks of the width control won't mess things up too much, but that is usually not enough to make a difference.

Chad B

Users who are viewing this thread