H/K vs. Pioneer

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisConklin, Jul 24, 2003.

1. ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently torn between the Pioneer vsx-d912 or i've heard good things about the H/K 320. Also i was thinkin of the Onkyo 601. Out of all of these i can find the 912 for $300 which is my budget really. I don't have AVIA or a SPL meter and don't think i'd get one soon, for this reason alone should i get the Pioneer just for the auto MACC feature? Does the H/K have anything bigger to offer?

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hmm...if adjusting your speakers is a top priority, the Pioneer may be a better way to go for you at this time. But in all honesty, I think the H/K would kick the Pio's butt in so many ways. I think it would sound better, despite the rated power difference. And the quality of the H/K itself is just no contest. Plus, the H/K has most if not all of the same connections on the rear-end, which would probably be better quality themselves. These two receivers are really apples and oranges we're talking here, it's just the H/K is an older model, where as the Pio is a brand new model. Thus why I am assuming the prices for both are relatively close together for you.

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I would go with pioneer, another one of my coleges has a cooked H/K. they are riddled with reliability problems. The pioneer is rock solid unit. if you can step up a couple of hundred and get an elite reciver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14981

check this out, very nice. and around your budget!

4. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Lee to a point. For pure sound quality, go with the HK. They put quality parts into their entire line where as Pioneer has their Elite line for 'high quality' and their regular consumer line for, well, average consumers. However, I haven't heard anything but good things about the 912K's sound for the price. Considering price it's a steal.

Steve is also correct in that over the past few years HK units have been riddled with maintenance issues, especially their units with higher price tags. But I can't confirm any issues with the HK model you are considering. Since it is a little older, does the HK have the features that you would want?

5. ChrisConklin

I've always considered the Elite 41tx but nowhere do i see the mention of MACC (the whole reason i was going to get the 912). The H/K 320 seems to have just the right amount of features, moreso than the 225 (no 6.1), but in the interest of saving a max of $100 i'm still leaning towards the Pioneer. My car CD player and my current Dolby Surround Midi system (no center channel) are both Pioneer so i guess i'm what they would consider a loyal customer.

6. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

If you feel like the Pioneer then go with it. And from all that I have read the Elite 41tx is a rebadged vsx-811, or whatever the 912k predecessor was. So go with the 912 you'll get the same amps as in the 41tx but the version of MCACC that the new 912k offers.

I must admit the MCACC is quite tempting. I plan on purchasing the Elite 53tx, (replacement for the discontinued 45tx), myself when it becomes available.

Good choice!

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I would go with the H/K.

8. Ozzie

Ozzie Agent

I have the H/K 225 and it has a speaker callibration system as well as On screen display.
    I've had my H/K for about 3 months now and I couldn't be happier. Sound keeps getting better and better. I have not yet hooked up my 5.1 system because I am moving next month but there is no doubt in my mind that for music, H/K is the best...very warm and rich. They match up really well with my JBL Studio series speakers.

I've read somewhere that the problems H/K once had are a thing of the past. I would not hesitate to recommend the 225 to anyone or any other H/K product for that matter.

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I was at work yesterday talking to my friend, his H/K 320 bit the dust! He's trying to get another to replace it, He don't know if Future Shop will replace it or not. only time will tell, oh, btw, get the pioneer, you will not regret it!.....[​IMG]

10. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

My major concern with the Pioneer would be in the power department. I just replaced a Pioneer that was comparable to the 912 (just quite a bit older) with a Yammaha. I'm just in two-channel mode currently with both the old Pio and Yammie. The Pioneer was rated at 150 x 2 and the Yammie at 85 x 2. The Yammie sounds as if it is the one that has the 150 x 2 rating as opposed to the Pio. The difference in my upgrade is night and day. That is what I would worry about. I would think the H/K's 55 or 65 watt rating, whatever it is, would actually sound better, louder, and cleaner than the Pioneer. Just my assumption though. Maybe Pioneer has much better amps now-a-days, but as they say, nothing is made like it used to be anymore.

11. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the HK320 from Harmanaudio refurb site and have not had any problems to date. I have probably had it for about 7 months or so.

Like Ozzie said, the HK320 does have a built in speaker calibration that works pretty well. The 320 also has preouts for 6.1. I had originally gotten the 225 from Fry's, but opted for the 320 for the upgrade potential.

Good luck!

12. ChrisConklin

After reading around i'm getting more hooked on the idea of an H/K, but i'll have to go listen around for myself soon. The 325 and 525 seem to be out of my range unfortunately or else it would be no question (7.1), how does the 520 compare to the 225, have they vastly improved their models in a year? Thanks for the help...i didn't realize how tough of a decision this really is.

13. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

The 520 and 225 is no comparison - if they're the same price, the 520 does everything the 225 does and more. It does it better too.

Between these two I'd get the 520, but with one caveat:

the 320/520 have had some reliability problems. I have not read of problems with the 12* or 22* receivers (then again, buyers of those models are probably less likely to post here).

14. Brian.Huep

Brian.Huep Agent

I would go with the H/K. I have never heard of these reliability problems? All things break eventually.

I have had my H/K 55 for about 5-6 years, and never an ounce of trouble. /shrug. Harman Kardon's have always impressed me because they don't make a lower line. It's all good stuff. My 225 should arrive soon!

With Pioneer ya never know.

15. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I certainly love the HK 520 or 525 if you can get one......However, this is not the same category receiver as the 912. I have heard the 811 at a friends house and was very impressed with not only the sound but the power.

It handled his system to high volume levels with no distortion for about 7 or 8 hours straight.

LaMarcus is his name and he is a member of this Forum and you can e-mail him to get his thoughts. I wouldn't dismis the 912 out of hand and for $300 bucks you may find no better receiver. Also, over on AVSForum there is a thread about the 912 you may want to read.....

Good Luck

Mike

16. ChrisConklin

I know when people speak in terms of 2 channel music they say the H/K is tons better than the Pioneer, how does this compare in 5 channel music mode? Does the Pioneer still have its lack of punch feeling? For pure HT has anyone done side by side comparison or noted any exceptional difference between the 2 companies?