What's new

H/K Sig. Pre-amp and amp opinions wanted, pls. also vs 3802 (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi group,
Getting ready to make a new purchase real quick here. I've been eyeing the H/K system for sometime now. Most recently, I pretty much decided on the Denon 3802. Then I started reading the "external amplification..I'm convinced" thread and it started me thinking about the Signature 2.0 and 2.1 amp and pre-amp. I was reading reviews on the pre, and people were saying (a few month ago) to snatch these things up at $700-$1000. Well, now they're down to about $900 for the pair (150x5 amp and pre).
My main concern is buying something a few years old that already discontinuted. The H/K set looks really nice and has the DD/DTS, so I guess it has the basics.
So for those of you familiar with these units, would you get the newer, updated Denon 3802 for around $900? Or would you go the seperates route for $900. That's pretty much my max spending limit. I don't have the budget that some of you seem to. :)
And then again, there's also the option to buy the 3802 now, get all the latest toys and bells, and then get an external power amp later, but then we're way over budget and I stil don't have a true "seperates" system.
Any advice and/or opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Aaron

Samson

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy the Denon. I've had a HK a couple years ago and it's the most unreliable piece of audio equipment I have ever owned. It sounded great but wasn't very reliable. First the rear channels stopped working after a year. Then the left and right channels stopped working after 4 years. That particular HK preamp/amp that you are considering is also unreliable from what I've read on reviews from Audioreview and other forums. This is the main reason why this HK preamp/amp could be bought for $900. I even read a bad review on the Sig 2.0 from SGHT.
Check out the Pioneer Elite line of receivers. They look beautiful and sound amazing.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the HK Sig 2.0 DD/DTS preamp for about two years now and I will honestly tell you to buy the Denon.
The HK sig has too many bugs and glitches to list but I use work-arounds on some and have learned to ignore the rest.
I have heard of upgrades by HK but I doubt it will cure all of the problems.
What I do like about the HK Sig 2.0 is 2 channel analog and the Movie modes(similar to DPL2) for satellite movies.
The 6 channel inputs on the HK are handy as I have a Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro connected as I prefer the Sony's detailed highs and mids to the HK's smoother, rolled off sound for most DD/DTS listening.
------------------
Equipment--
Sony KP-53XBR45, Dish 6000, DVP-S9000, TA-E9000ES
Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 DD/DTS, PA-5800
Carver A-753x
Infinity SM-155 LCR, SM-125 surround
Boston VR-40 LR, VR-12 C
M&K MX-125 mk2, SVS 16-46PC
La-Z-Boy (10 yr break-in)

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
How about buying a Denon receiver with preamp outputs?
That way you could always upgrade to external amps in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks