What's new

H/K & Rocket support: good, bad, or ugly? (1 Viewer)

Russell Volz

Agent
First of all I want to thank all of you very much for helping me to select speakers for my 12x12 HT. Before I place my order, how is the customer support for the following systems?

* Harmon Kardon 325 Tuner
* Rocket ELT-1 Speakers
* Panisonic 500 Projector
* Sanyo Z2 Projector (I can't decide which projector)
* Samsung DVD-931

Secondly, what issues or technologies or features should I be looking for in cables? What cable recommendations do you have? Do I have to worry about calibrating any of this stuff or will it work fine out of the box?

Russell

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I can't speak for HK or Panny or Sanyo or Samsung, but the AV123 (Rockets) people are great to deal with. They'll bend over backwards to make their customers happy. The ELTs should fare quite well in your room. Other than the speakers, everything else is tweakable. That is, you'll have to do just a bit of tweaking with the HK and Samsung units to get it to your liking. This is not difficult. You can always post your questions here.

As for the Projectors, I don't have much experience with them, other than perusing thru AVS forums from time to time. Are they of LCD or CRT technology? If CRT, then you're in for quite a bit of trouble with the calibration. LCD won't require as much tweaking, however.

As for cables, people have been recommending Bluejeans cables quite a bit. I had my friend make me some similar cables (i.e. using the same parts) that BJ makes, and they are great. Don't spend too much $ in this area, however. For speaker cables, people have been recommending Sound King from Partsexpress. However, I'm going to Hometheaterdirect to try some of their cables this week.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would second Nhan's comments about AV123's customer service...IMO they are second to none when it comes to having the customers best interests at heart...I wouldn't worry at all about any purchases from there...Panny, Sanyo, Samsung, and HK are a whole different ball of wax...good luck with your decision! :cool:

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I'll third Nhan's and Bob's comments. AV123 provides the best customer service I have ever received. SVS is right up there too, I've just had more dealings with AV123. As far as CS from the other companies...that could largely depend on the dealer you get the equipment from as well as the companies themselves. I wouldn't hold my breath for great customer service from any of the big companies.

For cables, handy dandy Home Depot #12AWG for speaker cables. Interconnects...I've heard good things about Bluejeans, I enjoy my Cobalt Cables, and I think the Outlaw cables are well made and reasonably priced too.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Russell,
You will need to calibrate your system once you get it.

Something else to consider: The somewhat buggy DVD931 is being replaced by a newer model in May/June that will add DVD audio and SACD.

Cable wise you are going to get alot of recommendations. Blue Jeans for component cables seems quite good for the price. Speaker cable wise there are lots of choices. Even AV123 carries their own that is probably worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks