H/K Reliability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Zeeshan T, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

I've been looking for a good receiver and i finally decided to get either a avr 430 or 630. I've been searching for cheap prices and have seen many refurbished H/K units on the market and have been worried about their reliability. I want to get a good receiver that lasts a long time because i don't intend to change it. I would like to hear from you guys about H/K reliability. Also which recivers are most reliable?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I don't think you'll get any *facts* regarding reliability, but rather just opinions.

Oh, there's a guy named Steve that should pop in here and diss the H/K receivers. But, I can only recommend that you look at each one objectively.

H/K has refurbished receivers on the market because that is how they choose to rework them and resell them. Other manufacturers have just as many refurbs, but they deal with them differently. Lots of those N.Y. dealers sell "B" stock or grey market receivers, which could very easily be refurbs from other vendors.

I've had no issues with H/K at all. In fact, I think they are nicely built, perform great and sound wonderful, too. [​IMG]

3. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

Gees Steve must be in bed. LOL
    I thought he'd jump on this one for sure!! [​IMG]

4. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Give him time, he'll be here! :wink:

5. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Zeeshan, you could have a problem no matter what brand you buy. No manufacturer is 100% defect free. Just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer no matter what brand you get so that if you do have any problems they will honor the warranty. Personally, I have a HK-525 and think it is a very nice receiver. Denon and Onkyo are also highly regarded, and I'm sure other brands have some nice models too such as Yamaha and Pioneer Elite, and higher end Sonys. The best thing you could do (if possible) would be go and audition as many receivers as you can and buy the one that has the features you want and a sound you like.

Since you seem to have your mind set on the 430 or the 630 (great choices by the way) I would just bite the bullet and order from jandr or onecall or any authorized dealer for that matter. I vote for the 630! [​IMG]

Then again, you could get last years flagship, the 7200, for close to the price of the 630...hmmmmmmmm.[​IMG]

6. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

My H/K AVR 525 has been going on one day strong! [​IMG]

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

AVR110 on/off every day for 3 years now, no prob (knock on silicon)

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Hi guys.

I have been working![​IMG]

My views on H/K products are not opinions, but facts. I have seen more H/K's come back to the store more than any other receiver that we sold. simple. They do sound great and have loads of features. before I worked at the store I was going to buy one, but my view of them changed soon afterwards. For the money, there are way better receivers out there.

This is not my opinion but my observations!

9. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Steve's being too nice,I thought the 7200 I had sounded like poop,glad its gone,it was pretty inside.

10. Rino C

Rino C Agent

I was seriously considering Harman Kardon receiver to replace my Denon. I just read on the AVS forum about H/K volume acting crazy on its own, which apparently is a known problem. Add audio dropouts on top of it and I think I will stick with Denon.