H/K receivers can't transfer warranty?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Jul 2, 2001
    Is this true? there's a receiver on Ebay, and the guy says it's used, but in good condition, BUT, the warranty can't be transferred? If that's true, is there a company I can get a 3rd party warranty from? Would I even want something like that?

Thanks...this receiver is my prime candidate, and he has it at a good price (almost too good), so I'm very curious.

Thanks all.
  2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

May 6, 1999
    Carl III
    If you have the original sales receipt and the receiver is still under a factory warranty then H/K would have no reason to deny service, how would they know about the transfer of ownership? In the unlikely event that they bother to check for a name on the receipt just tell them that it was a gift.

I've never heard of buying an extended warranty on a used piece of gear but even if one were available it wouldn't be worth the effort. Assuming the thing is in working condition when you get it the chances are slim that it will break down on you over the next couple of years, and by then technology will have progressed to where an upgrade would be more logical than repairing the old model.