H/K receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnHa, Nov 22, 2003.

1. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

I noticed that the dpr-1001 retails on H/K's website for $1499.99. I found it at Circuit City for $999.99, and at www.soundcity.com for $521.19, which seems like a great deal. This receiver is rated at 50watts x 7. The avr-430 is rated at 65watts x 7. It retails for $999.99 and is at www.soundcity.com for $564.63. What I'm wondering is, why would the dpr-1001 retail for $500 more than the avr-430 if it is less power? It is slimer physically, which is nice, and at circuit city it powered the nice infinity speakers they had hooked up to it very well. If you were in my shoes trying to make a decision, which of these would you get and why?

BTW, these will ultimately most likely power 4 ascend accoustics cbm-170s and 1 cmt-340c. (I'm not buying speakers until I buy a surround receiver, obviously, so I don't have the ascends yet)

2. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

dpr-1001 is a digital amp if I recall, new technology and such but I don't know a whole lot about that stuff [​IMG]

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

It's an all digital amplifier which makes it a little bit harder to build.

To me, the AVR-430 is the better choice but if you need something slim and neato looking then the DPR-1001 is a better choice.

In terms of power, the extra 15 watts is nice if you have larger speakers that need the juice. [​IMG]

4. TomsJ

TomsJ Auditioning

John,

If you go to Harman/Kardon's web site, you can read about the differences. Jeff is right about it being a digital receiver/amp. What that means is the signal stays digital from source to speaker out. The theory, I think, is cleaner sound with little to no distortion.

I'd read as much as possible about the 1001 to make sure, but would lean toward getting it.

-Tom

5. John S

John S Producer

I'd buy a Denon 3803.. lol Good luck, I just ordered an AVR125 for somebody else for xmas myself...