H/K Receiver Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Thomas Willard, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I have been reading good things about the H/K series of receivers, but the model I am interested in does not have connections for "B" speakers as does my current Kenwood. Could I use a speaker switch from Radio Shack and then set the output on the H/K to stereo? Would this direct sound only to the front speakers and then with the speaker switch in the "B" position only the speakers in my other room would be active?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Thomas, which model are you considering? The AVR-325/525/7200 all feature multi-zone outputs where you could direct sound properly to the speakers in another room.

3. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

The receiver will be able to switch to stearo without any extra plugs.

4. Thomas Willard

Wayne:

I sent to the HK web site and looked at the back panel of the AVR 230. No B speaker connections were there. The web site did not have the AVR 325 listed. They also have a AVR 330, but that does not B speaker outputs either.

5. Thomas Willard

Wayne:

I stand corrected. I went back to the HK web site and took a closer look at the AVR 330. I see it does have the capability of using two of the seven channels for what I call B speakers. It also has wide band HDTV component switching, which the AVR 230 does not have.

Any opinion on either the AVR 325 or 330?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Quote:
    Any opinion on either the AVR 325 or 330?
    I'm not sure what price you are seeing for the AVR-330, but the AVR-325 can be found for about $450. The Zone-2 feature works really good when driving another pair of speakers in the 2nd zone. I use my AVR-7200 quite frequently in this mode and when I do, the main receiver (other 5 channels) do no have to be on when the 2nd zone is being powered. This means that my receiver can run a little cooler than normal.

I've done the "A" and "B" speaker selection before for powering the speakers in my living room. In my experience, it was never as well laid out as the multi-zone feature is on the H/K receivers. When I would use the "B" speakers on other receivers, at times, my center channel and surround speakers would be on or my sub would be on in the family room. I would have to turn all of these other speakers off if I didn't want sound in the family room when the 2nd zone speakers were being powered.