H/K phono input question....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hobbes, Dec 13, 2001.

1. David Hobbes

David Hobbes Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

First off, this site is great. i have been browsing for months and must say the level of expertise and knowledge combined with the overall good nature of the posters make this one of the best sites i have come across on the net.

Does H/K have phono inputs on any of their receivers? If not, why not? I am sure there are many among us that have stacks and stacks of albums that are still very playable and H/K is totally ignoring this part of music that many A/V customers still have a use for.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

dave

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Welcome, David.

I am currently looking at buying the H/K AVR-520 receiver myself. The AV receivers do not have a phono input at all. However, if you would like an H/K receiver with that capability, their 2-channel units (HK 3370 and HK 3470) do have the phono input.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone made a phono preamp that could be used with any input on the AV units. Anyone else have an idea?

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Sure, you can use any 2 channel input on any AV receiver for phono playback. Phono preamps that will allow this range from a decent Radio Shack battery powered unit for cheap (less than $50) and then go up from there...parasound makes a PP-1 phono stage for around $120....Creek has the OBH-8 phono stage for about $190 (I use this one)..then you can spend as much on SOME phono stages that cost as much as most RPTV's easily.

The radio shack unit get great reviews for the money, if you can deal with changing the batteries every so often.

Audioadvisor.com is a good source.