What's new

H/K PA2000 Power Amps (1 Viewer)

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I have just added 2 H/K PA2000 units to power up my front and surround speakers (Mordaunt-Short floorstanders). I have been hapilly using a H/K AVR430 receiver for over an year now and I've always thought it had a very good performance. My first priority has always been hi-res multichannel music (SACD and DVD-A) so, after seeing several posts on these forums about how great separates are, I've decided to give it a try.
And I'm glad I did! Even if the PA2000 amps are most popular in multi-room applications, they are also great as hi-fi amps. After adding these units, the improvements were obviouous even at low volumes: tighter bass, more open and natural soundstage and soooooo much more detail.
Even if H/K receivers have great amps, they cannot compare to separates, and the good thing is that you don't have to go too high in range/price in order to have an immediate improvement.
My AVR430 is only powering my center speaker now and since the receiver only has to work with one channel, the clarity/volume/detail of the center have also improved.
So in case you're wondering if you should invest in external power amps, stop wondering and do it: it's worth every extra penny you pay for it!

Have Fun!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I'm using a bridged PA2000 to power my JBL S36II’s (rears). I noticed an immediate improvement in bass response and head room when I changed from my h/k 525. And I got it for a song!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
While I am a big fan of the PA2000 amp, particularly for multiroom aplications, I'd recommend a blind test if you have friend to make sure that it's worth your money to upgrade the front soundstage. From your writing it's apparent that you're very biased already. It's possible that the difference may not be as dramatic as your brain is making it out to be.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Well, then I suppose that everyone who came in to listen to my system after the upgrade was also strongly biased because everyone was impressed by the big difference the power amps have made.
Moreover, my wife (who usually treats all my upgrades with the classic 'it sounds exactly the same as before') said that adding the power amps have created a new system better than before in every way. She also asked me to re-run some of our favorite movies (including 'Finding Nemo') with the new 'improved sound' (that's what she called it!) and in the end we've both agreed that the difference was impressive.
You married guys out there know that there is no test in the world which can beat this!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So I guess a blind test is not needed huh? Everyone already knows that the difference is there so why test for it. :)

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, blind test should be done only when minor differences are present, not when the improvements are soooo obvious.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
"You married guys out there know that there is no test in the world which can beat this!"

AMEN!!!!

I totally agree.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly!
Remember those remarks present in many speakers/amps owner manuals: 'If it sounds right for you, then it is right!'
Adding the power amps made my system sound much better to me, so IT IS much better!
You might think your perception of sound is much closer to reality (whatever that may be) than mine, and maybe it really is. I can't tell, you can't tell, no one can tell...
As far as I'm concerned only I can be right about the way I'm hearing things, no 'blind tests' needed here.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
After about 60 hours of normal use, my two PA2000 units have started to break-in and reaching their expected normal performance. These things sound even better now than one week ago. The difference is rather subtle but the sound has become smoother and even more open.
These power amps are the best upgrade I've done yet. Separates are the way to go!

Shiu

Second Unit
I used to hear noticeable improvements at loud listening level (I mean really loud) when I had my Sony 4ES helped by a 200WPC X 2 power amp. I wish I could hear the same with my 3805 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks