What's new

H/K PA2000: Is There a Better 2ch Amp for the Money? (1 Viewer)

John_VI

Second Unit
Or maybe a better way to ask the question is: "For a measley $320 shipped (from onecall), is there any way I could possibly go wrong by buying this amp?"

I just got a new AVR-520 and have it hooked up to a Def Tech speaker set-up (2006 mains, BP2X surrounds, C2 center). Since this receiver can handle DTS-ES decoding (both discrete and matrix), I'm considering adding another pair of BP2X sourrounds to the back, but I'll need a 2ch amp to do it. If I get the PA2000, I'd bridge it to 2x100 and use it to power the mains, and then reconfigure the AVR-520's amps to run all the other speakers.

Any PA2000 owners out there? Will this amp fit the bill, or will I be disappointed? My budget is $500 max for the amp, so if there are better options in that price range, I'm all ears.

Oh, and I'm virtually 100% HT.

Thanks!!

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
That is the exact same configuration I am now running and I am in sonic bliss. I can not describe the difference it made (and that is just when running in stereo). I think you will be more than pleased if you go this route.

magnus

Auditioning
Hmm, can I use PA2000 or PA4000 for a 7.1 system when I'm using my Old HK AVR65, or I'm I stuck whith 5.1?

Alec M

Agent
I'm looking at the PA 4000, so looking for feedback as well.

Does anyone know if you could split 2 channels to 4 speakers without any safety or quality issues?

I want to run 10 speakers in 4 zones. The 4 speakers on 2 channels would get about 22.5W each which would be fine as they are ambient only in the dinning room and bathrooms.

I'm guessing I could just get an A/B splitter/switch to do the trick if that doesn't affect the resistance too much.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Alec

Just to let you know the Pa 4000 is 4 by 45, or bridged to 2 by 100.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Alec M

Agent
Bob, just to make sure I understand this amp:

it has 400W total, so I'm thinking:

zone 1 - 2 speakers at 50W each

zone 2 - 2 speakers at 50W each

zone 3 - 2 speakers at 50W each

zone 4 - 4 speakers with a a and/or b splitter at 22.5W each

Is this logic right, and will splitting zone 4 be ok with resistance and all (assuming 8 ohm on all speakers)?

Alec M

Agent
Thanks for the suggestion Bob,

I did check the website, looked at the manual and sent a question to their service dept, but no response yet...

I don't see why there would be a problem with splitting 1 channel with a good Niles a and/or b splitter.

I hope I am not missing something here on resistance or load or something...EE was 10 yrs ago in college and it might hurt my mellon to think back that far;o)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Bob,

where in Edmonton have you found PA 2000 or 4000's? I can't seem to track these without "special order". Considering buying factory refurbished online from the U.S. now.

Alec M

Agent
HK sent me the following which answered my question in that you can have more than 2 speakers per channel:

>Each channel must see an 8 ohm impedance load. If you were to

connect two pairs of 4 ohm speakers in series, then each channel would see

the necessary 8 ohm impedance. The wiring per channel would be as follows;

Positive terminal out from amp to positive of first speaker.

Negative of that speaker to the positive of the second speaker.

Negative of the second speaker to the negative of the amp channel.

This is Series wiring. Speaker impedances will add when connected this way.>

Are there any negatives to wiring in series?

John_VI

Second Unit
I haven't check this thread for a while, and I see that a full-blown hijacking is in progress!! LMAO!!

Just wanted to close out my portion by saying that I bought a PA-2000 from uBid.com for $210 shipped (to NY). It is a refurb, but comes with the H/K warranty.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I would like to highly recommend getting a Parasound HCA-855A instead.

It's a 5-ch amp (85x5 watts) that could be bi-amped to give your mains 170x2 and then you could use the extra amp to power your center if you choose too.

This amp can be had at UBID which is an authorized Parasound dealer anywhere from $285-325. This amp has been getting FANTASTIC reviews and has been getting alot of threads on it in the last couple of weeks. I think at this time its the best amp you can buy for in the $300 range.

I purchased a Parasound 1205A from UBID 2 weeks ago and it has done wonders to my system. I currently use a Denon 3802 with Paradimg Reference Studio speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks