H/K Logic 7 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Street, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

I've got the baby H/K (AVR 120) and am very impressed with the sound I get. It contains Logic 7 as well as DPLII. I noticed some people prefer Logic 7 to DPLII.

Does Logic 7 provide a stereo signal to the surrounds in a 5.1 setup like DPLII? I couldn't really find the specs about Logic 7 on the Harman website. Also, who prefers which format and why?

Thanks for all the help. This forum rocks!

Bill Street

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Hey Bill,
    I'm getting AVR120 delivered to my work today as a matter of fact. I also live in Birmingham.

How do you like you H/K receiver? I can't wait to set mine up today!

As for your question, I used to have a Marantz 5200 with DPLII and I really liked it. It provided much more channel separation than PL1. But I have yet to listen to H/K's Logic 7, but I will tonight.

Yes, Logic 7 I believe does the same thing as DPLII.

I will post my thoughts and let you know.

~Paul

3. Bill Street

Hey Paul!

I love my H/K 120! It's a major improvement over the JVC I used to own. I'm really impressed with DPLII, and what little playing around I've done with Logic 7 sounded great, but I was wondering about whether Logic 7 derives a stereo surround signal like PLII.

I think you're really gonna love your H/K... let me know what you think!

Bill Street

(Can't 2nd the War Eagle...) Roll Tide!

4. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

In answer to the question:

It works just like ProLogic II in stereo... only most of us think it sounds better. It is reputed to do a better job of "guessing" where to send individual sounds - meaning it interprets the stereo signal, then more often (than PL II) sends it to the correct speaker in simulating surround sound.

5. Bill Street

Thanks Doug! I appreciate the help!
    Bill Street[​IMG]

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Paul:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the H/K versus the Marantz 5200.

--AM

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Well, I only listened to my H/K a little last night, but from what I can tell, I like the Marantz better.
    First let me give you some background on what happened. I graduated from college in May, bought the Marantz with my graduation money for $400 refurbished from www.ac4l.com. Well, I didn't get a job for about 3 months, so ended up having to sell my Marantz to pay the bills. I was NOT HAPPY having to sell my Marantz at all.
    So I finally got a job two months ago and wanted to get a better receiver than my 3 year old Kenwood. So I bought the H/K refurbished for $200 because I don't have enough money to get the Marantz again.
    As far as sound goes, I like the Marantz sound better, I think it has better highs than the H/K. But rememer, this is only from 1 night of listening to the H/K. This is also the cheapest receiver H/K makes.
    I also put in Gladiator last night to test it with movies, and again, I liked the sound of the Marantz better; more clear, louder, just plain better.
    But comparing the 5200 with the 120 isn't really fair. I would put the 320 vs. 5200.
    But I am happy with the performance of the H/K for the money I paid for it. What else can I expect for $200? Not much...
    When I do get enough money, my next receiver will hopefully be one of the new Marantz models.

8. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Anyway, (back to topic)...

Taking the 520 in DPLII and then switching to L7 for anyone who's over at my place (even before I went to 7 speakers), is like someone just opened up the sound a couple of notches...

...that's opened up, not cranked up. I've yet to have anyone say DPLII sounds the same (nevermind better).

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I would have to agree that Logic 7 sounds much better than PLII. I was listening to music and was switching between PLII and Logic 7 and the Logic 7 sounded much better than the PLII. More full, like the music was surrounding more than the PLII.

Anyway, thats just my .02

~Paul

10. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I have a question too, should i be able to use logic 7 when watching movies through my cable box? It's hooked up with a coax cable and i can choose DPL 2, but not L7, I can use L7 for DVD, CD ect.. but not through my cable box, it seems oddd to me why DPL 2 works but not L7 please help.

Craig

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I just bought an HK 520 and have been messing around with all the new settings. I would have to say that I prefer Logic 7 Cinema to DPLII Cinema for normal viewing. They both do a good job of extracting a 5.1 signal from a 2 channel source, but Logic 7 seems a little slicker in figuring out what should come from where (especially with the rear speakers.)

I was watching Akira on cable couple nights ago (2 ch. source) and was switching between DPLII, Logic7, and others. The Logic 7 not only decoded the back surrounds, it actually figured out whether to send it to the right or left rear very well. Not as good as a 5.1 source of course, but Logic 7 did a way better job than any of the others that I could hear.

12. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Just another vote for L7 over DPLII. I'm using a HK 320, and I prefer the L7 for both music & movies.

13. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Double ditto's for Phil remarks. L7 just sounds better to me.