H/K FL8350 and CD-R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RussR, Aug 17, 2001.

1. RussR

RussR Stunt Coordinator

In a classic case of closing the barn door after the horse has left, I've ordered a refurbed 8350 cd changer (I'm feeling lucky) and have now begun to wonder whether it, in fact, can play CD-Rs. Epinions.com says 'no', but they are incorrect on another player that does, in fact, have CD-R capabilities, so I'm not entirely trusting of them. I've done searches in a number of places on the net with no luck, one way or the other.
    So, does anybody here have an 8350? What's the verdict?

2. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

Russ
    I don't know about the 8350, but I have a 8550 that plays CD-Rs just fine.
    I generally use higher quality brand name CD-Rs (Kodak Silver & TDK Certified+) and I have yet to have a problem.
    By the way, I bought my 8550 as a refurb also. Dual 20 bit Burr Brown D/A converters, HDCD decoder, and a 1yr warranty for a whopping $96! It is easily one of the true steals that I've found on the net.
    Without a doubt, the best "cheap" cd player that I've ever heard.
    Good luck with your 8350.
    Clark

3. David Lee

David Lee Stunt Coordinator

I've had an FL-8350 for over a year and have never had a problem playing cd-r's, even the cheap ones. It will definately not play cd-rw's. It's a solid machine, but I personally have had problems with the tray spinning excessively.
    [Edited last by David Lee on August 18, 2001 at 02:27 AM]

4. RussR

RussR Stunt Coordinator

David--
    That's good to hear (about the cd-r capability, not your tray [​IMG]). Just in case you aren't aware, I think H/K will pay for a diode replacement that supposedly fixes this problem, although I've also read that people have had the fix done and still experienced the problem. The info is in the 8350 product faq on the H/K website.
    Clark--
    I'm envious. I paid $84 with free shipping from the H/K outlet. You got a great deal. I was hoping to get an refurbed 8550, but nobody seems to have them right now.