What's new

H/K EZSet vs SPL (1 Viewer)

RyanW

Grip
Anyone know if the H/K in remote EZ Set process is a viable alternative to an actual SPL?

Thanks!

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

Curious about this myself, but my initial thoughts are that perhaps it is not.

I say this only b/c I was using it the other night. I noticed that the right surround, which is farther from me than the left was being adjusted for a much lower level than the left. as a result, I couldn't hear much info from the right surround. I know it's not as black and white as simple distance from the listener, but this made me wonder.

Also, it does not do signals for the sub. However if you use Avia or a similar disc, you can use the remote to give an indication of the level for the sub (or other speakers) by way of the green or amber LED on the remote. This, however would seem to be less precise than an SPL meter with actual levels shown.

Searching the archives does show people find it to be useful. but perhaps it is not quite as exact as the SPL can be.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It's pretty close to the results I get with a Radio Shack SPL meter. I belive it was 2db out at the most.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
It's pretty close to the results I get with a Radio Shack SPL meter. I belive it was 2db out at the most.
really? that's encouraging. can you tell me, are you supposed to aim the remote at the speaker making the test tone? following the instructions, I just sit there with the remote in my hand, arm extended towards the tv as it goes through the tones. wondering if my low right surround level has anything to do with me not pointing it at the speaker or something?

also, did you do the sub with it via the color of the LED?

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I used the Radio Shack SPL meter when doing my HK520.The reason..........I had just bought the SPL meter for the Onkyo I had returned,and was determined to use the darn thing since I paid for it:D

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The EZset does not work very well at subwoofer frequencies and I would not use it to calibrate a sub.

You want to be positioned so that the front of the remote (where the mic is) is just a touch behind where your head would be when seated in the primary listening position. Then just hold it still....do not point it in the direction of the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks