H/K DVD players opinions ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ahmose, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

I don't see any discussions concerning the H/K DVD players like the DVD 25 and FL8300.
    Are these players any good ? I can't tell much from the reviews at audioreview.com since there is very few reviews of them.
    The wife likes the look of the H/K DVD players and they do appear to be more solid/heavier than other panny/toshiba players.
    Anybody would like to share his/her experience with any of those players ?

2. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I'm also very interested in an H/K DVD player since I just sprung for the AVR-325. I've seen a lot of raves on the picture of these units, but a lot of players make the good DVDs look good.
    Apparently, it's free of the chroma bug since it uses the Mediamatics/National Semi Pantera II mpeg decoder. In this thread on the AVS Forum, Don Munsil says it suffers from mediocre deinterlacing. I'm not exactly sure what that means - perhaps it has a hard time detecting changes from film-based to video-based material.
    Tim

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

They're fine units, perhaps overpriced compared to the competition, but they are solid performers.

FYI, the FL8380 is a CD changer, not a DVD changer. The only DVD players that show up on the H/K web site right now are the DVD25 and DVD101 - both single disc units. I think the DVD50 is still available, but it's not on their web site. Probably end-of-life. Perhaps a new unit will be introduced at CES this week.

4. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

Thanks JohnnyG for your clarification with regards to the FL8380.
    Where does one find out about the CES ? Do they have any websites where one can check out the new products from different manufacturers ?

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter