H/K + DVD Player as CD player connect questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason GT, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I'm getting a AVR320 soon [​IMG].
    So, now is the time I'm trying to make sure I have everything ready to go when it comes. My current equipment is a Toshiba DVD player, Sony TV and 5 speakers (sub comes later). therefore, my DVD player would also double as a CD player for 2- and 5-channel stereo.
    My question: I understand that the H/K won't apply L7 to a digital source. Is it possible to hook up both the digital out and analogue (RCA composite) outs to the H/K, such that the digital out is used for DD and DTS HT apps, and the analogue is used for CD sources such that L7 can be applied?
    Would this require constant output selection for the DVD player?
    Thanks in advance.
    J

2. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

You can always connect the digital output to the DVD input and the analog output to the CD input. YOu would have to select CD/DVD on the H/K depending on what you were playing, but it would work just fine.

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

That makes sense.

However, do you know if would I have to constantly toggle the output selection on the DVD player (digital/analogue)?

Thanks again!

4. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Jason, I'm not sure if I understand your question exactly, but the H/K 320 will apply L7 to a digital source. In other words, if you connect a CD or DVD player to your H/K using a digital cable (coax or optical), and you were to play a 2-channel CD, you could apply L7 to the CD, even though it is coming through the digital cable, not analog. The issue of what L7 won't do on the 320 is apply L7 to Dolby Digital 5.1.

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Jeffrey -- that doesn't answer my question [​IMG]
    But, it actually helps me out, because I now understand that L7 CAN be applied to a digital source, just not DD and, presumably, DTS. So now I can go with my digital connect and worry about one less pair of RCAs.
    Thanks! [​IMG]