H/K DPR 1001 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Sarno, Dec 15, 2003.

1. James Sarno

James Sarno Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I were looking at some of the HK receivers and since I'll be upgrading my speaker system(after holidays bills are paid[​IMG] )I'll be looking to upgrade from my HK AVR110 as well.I was looking at the 230 and 330 when my wife just fell in love with the styling and size of the DPR1001(she thinks my HK now is just way to big)
    Since I am vey pleased with the sound quality of my current HK.I was wondering does the 1001 share the same quality HK sound that I'm used to?
    Is there a big difference since this receiver is all digital? Any DPR1001 owners out there? Looking for some opinions on this model...btw...the price of this receiver is going to drop considerably(and I thought the WAF was enough[​IMG] )

Thanks and Happy Holidays to All...

2. Theron D

Theron D Auditioning

James,
    The 1001 has already dropped at my local CC, it was originally at 1000, but has been around 650 of late. Unfortunately, my ears don't like it as much as the other more traditional HK's. It just sounds synthetic. I should add though that that i don't buy into the concept of a digital pass through any way.
    I much prefer the other models right now, both the x25s and newer x30s. But with the new silver ones out there the older models can be had for a bargain right now too. The new models are tough to resist though, what with the fancy silver and volume knobs featuring a blue inset light. Man, i tell you, blue is the color of quality and high technology.

3. James Sarno

James Sarno Stunt Coordinator

Theron,
    I tell you,I got my eyes on that 230...very nice...I was wondering if that reciver sounded synthetic(my local CC didnt have it hooked up)about the price drop,wonder if a new digital replacement is coming or if HK is going to end the line with this one.I could only assume that even with a digital reciver, HK would make sure its on par with its current line...especially with a $1000 price tag

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I heard the DPR1001 and I wouldn't say it sounded synthetic but just a little different. Probably because it's all digital. The x30 line is nice and I liked them too, didn't hear a difference in sound quality from the old x25 line.

Either way I think they are both good recievers, if size is your constraint then the DPR1001 is probably your best bet and is a very good reciever... not to mention it has a different look then all the other equipment.

If you can get your wife away from the small size then the bigger recievers from HK might be the way to go... all depending on what you can do.