H/K center channel dialogue...What?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Wood, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

I am having difficulty in setting up my center channel so that dialogue is distinct from ambient sounds in movies and esp ‘The Sopranos’. I have the Harman Kardon 520 using their Logic 7 surround sound. My center channel (VMPS large ribbon center) has 2 6.5 midwoofs, a 7 inch neodynum midrange and 1 ribbon tweeter. My other speakers for the fronts are the 626ribbons and for the rear AcendAcoustic cbm 170’s. In the speaker setup I have the 626’s as +3, LRC as +10, and the 170’s as –6 db. It sounds great for music, but not as clear when it comes to dialogue for cinema. How can I tweak the settings on the Harman Kardon to get rid of the ambient sound (ie, bar, street background)?
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Have you calibrated with an SPL meter?

If yes, I think you're ok using the same settings as DD for logic7.

Good Luck!

3. Eric Wood

Yes, I have spl'd it. I just need to get rid of some of the ambiant sounds (really only from Tony and the boys in the strip club)that is also coming along with the dialogue.
    Thanks

4. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Nice choice in speakers. I'm contemplating a similar setup up front. One thing that people consistently report about VMPS ribbons is that because of dispersion characteristics they need to be carefully aimed at ear level. You may want to try angling your center channel so that it points at your ears. I use a Def Tech center and have it angled with doorstops. There was a subtle but noticeable improvement over having it aim straight out over my head.

5. Eric Wood

You know what, tonights Sopranos sounded just fine. Zero bar scene or road noise. Let me be clear, these speakers are fantastic. With all other movies and soundtracks the LRC is great. It is not the dispersion that was causing the trouble. It was the ambiant sounds.
    With VMPS the sound is spectacular in the sweet spot and just great in the periphery. I actually heard them while in ElSobrante', Brian Cheney is an artist. The original sub rocks as well with just an old receiver powering it.

6. sean_k

sean_k Auditioning

I am having trouble hearing sound with my HK 520.

I got to messs around with the settings, but something seems wierd with the dialogue right now ?:|

I an a noob so i guess i will keep reading and pluggin

7. Eric Wood

Sorry, I did not end this thread. Stupid me, actually put my ear to the ribbon mid...nothing. Quick email to B. Cheney and a week later I installed a new midrange panel in about 5 minutes [​IMG] Audio Nirvana [​IMG]
    That was the problem. Problem solved, tells me that the tweeter and pair of 6.5 inch woofers ain't to bad holding their own. Of course that ribbon is magic...