What's new

H/K AVR80 & Sony EP9ES.. Do I need to update? (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone! I've been out of the HT loop for a while. Upgrades were limited from being an apartment dweller & low funds. That's all changing.. business is good and we take ownership of a house on the 30th. I will have a partially finished basement that will be great for a small (~400sf) dedicated HT :D So.. to say the least I'm excited!
Anyway.. As the subject title says I have the H/K AVR80 & Sony EP9ES. Am I in serious need up upgrading? Is DPL2 living up to everyone's expectations.. beyond? I have plans to add a Millennium DTS decoder for now.
My first purchase will be (most likely.. unless someone recommends something else) a Mit 55311, so this will take up a huge chunck of my WAF dollars ;)
If I had.. say $500 to spend on a receiver.. Is there something for that amount that would be worth giving up the H/K - EP9ES - Millennium combo? Is there a DPL2 stand alone decoder??
That's it for now.. I'm sure I will be posting daily from here on out!!!!

RichardMA

Second Unit
There are only automotive stand alone DPL2 decoders.
What you really need is a DTS decoder. There are various
used units out there from Rotel, Adcom, Millennium, etc.
I can pretty much assure you a new $500 receiver will not
sound as good as what you have. The Millennium sound
and specs are outstanding, better than most internal
decoders in receivers.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The only problem with getting a Millenium decoder will be that you will not be able to have remote volume control on DVDs.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Tom, I thought you sold your AVR-80? I say sell the EP9ES and the H/K, and get a new HK-AVR 520 for $600. I've owned the AVR-80, and now I have a H/K AVR-320, you will improve in sound quality and you will get DPLII, DTS NEO:6, AND Logic7 processing for 5.1 sources. From one HK owner to another: this is a no-brainer. You can't go wrong.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin.. I just can't seem to let go. I haven't had any problems with either and both are packed with features that I have become accustomed to and love. Sentimental I guess.

I think I will get the Millennium and wait 'til early next year.. then look into getting a high end receiver or pre/amp combo.

Thanks.

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I am seriously considering an HK 320 or 520 for use as a pre/pro only. What are your impressions of the differences (other than the extra power, which is meaningless to me since I'll not use the amps)? They look so similar, that for a pre/pro it seems the 320 is as good of a choice. HDCD decoding is the only thing I recall as an added benefit on the 520, but I'm not sure how important that is since I've never knowingly listened to HDCD, and don't know if many Cds are HDCD anyway. What made you choose the 320 over the 520?

Thanks!

Chris

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Chris, no difference whatsoever IF you are using it as a pre/pro only. As a straight receiver, you are gaining more power in the amps w/ the 520 and main-ins as well. I chose the 320 over the 520 because of the outstanding deal I got for it. If you have an external amp, you are wasting your money on the 520. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks