H/K AVR520 and Rear Channels. Whats the pupose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickBlacker, Sep 19, 2002.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

I am kinda in panic mode here. I have a AVR-520. It has 7 preamp outs the back. Now what I want to know is this...

If I put in a DVD, say DTS 5.1 (no es), and I DO NOT change any settings on the receiver (meaning no NEO:6) Will or Will there NOT be any signal coming out the back of the two rear channels. Yes, I realize I have to run those out to an amp and then to some speakers... But I want to know if by default, if any signal will come out for the two rears.

Now, I ask the exact same question about Dolby Digital. Just plain DD5.1 (No pro logic or pro logic 2), will there be any signal coming out the back of the two rear channels?

Also with this receiver, I know it supports DTS ES, but does it support DD 5.1 EX? Or just dd 5.1.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth the money buying 2 rear surrounds and an amp to push them.

Any advice will be HUGLY welcome.

Thanks

2. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

First question... what's HUGLY mean?

K, the receiver has two settings... one for 5.1 (i.e. sans external amp), and one called 6/7.1 (obviously with 7 channels powered).

So... so long as you are running on just the internal amps, the DTS and Logic 7 are processed for a 5.1 config.

DTS and DD are 5.1 and no it does not have DD-EX. The 525 is rumoured to have this, and one person stated to have seen the specs inadvertantly on the H/K website confirming this, but mum's the word on that (along with any planned release date.)

Now, if you are considering going 6.1 you're gonna need more speakers anyway (of course). And getting two makes more sense than a single at the rear, because you as well get to broaden the scope of your DTS Matrix and Discrete, use the full 7.1 capabilities of Logic 7 on two channel analog, and of course move from 5 channel to 7 channel stereo (if so inclined).

It's NEVER a bad idea to get another amp anyway. Well almost never. Use the amp to pump greater power to the mains, and use the internal for the center and surrounds.

One word of caution. The side speakers in your 7.1 config make all the difference. Look for dipolar or bipolar if possible.

3. RickBlacker

Steve,

HUGLY = big.. I know spelling error.

I guess I should have further explained something. I don't need to worry about any analog, or 2 channel stereo. I will never be a factor in my theater. Everything I run will be DD or DTS. No will I ever care about 7 channel stereo.

As I understand it, Logic 7, and Pro Logic 2, take a 2 channel source and break it up into multiple channels, is that correct?

Now then as I understand it, NEO:6 does the same, takes a 2 channel signal and breaks it up into multiple channes, yes?

Again if I am correct, NEO:6 does NOT take the origian DTS and add an extra channel out of that does it? Dosen't it just work with a 2 channel input and make multi channel outs?

Am I correct so far?

If I am, it would seem to me that using Logic7, NEO:6 and Pro Logic would be counter productive. Is it not safe to assume that DD5.1 and DTS5.1 would be far supiorer to any of those options?

No back to my original question in my previous post....
    If I have my receiver, I have the H/K PA4000, I run a signal from the receivers surround left and right into the amp, then out to my speakers, will I or will I NOT get any sound from them if my DVD source is either DD5.1 or DTS5.1 with NO ES or EX?

I am currently considering adding to my existing system with are all Klipsch R7s, I am thinking about adding 2 RC7s, but that is a lot of money to spend if I am not going to get much out of it.

I see that Dolby Digital 5.1 EX is starting to become popular on DVD's, but apparently the H/K520 does not have it. However it does have DTS ES. Which I have seen that there is very fiew movies out there that even have DTS ES....

Are there any indications that DTS ES will start picking up steam?

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Never safe to assume... 5 channel Logic 7 is MILES better than DPL II (also 5 channel of course).
    DTS will matrix the 6th channel so you can get the use of the rears.
    DD (not the EX) will NOT power the rears of the 7.1 as it is encoded for 5.1 only.
    That is why I suggest Dipoles on the sides, to allow for dispersion of sound off of the back walls to almost create the old 5.1 effect.
    It's a trade off though... that's the problem. You don't get as good a rear fill in a 5.1 with your speakers setup for 7.1.
    OTOH, the fill in 6/7.1 is better than standard 5.1 (unless you are Luis[​IMG] )
    DON'T jump into it, til you consider your needs, goals, and demo the sound.

5. RickBlacker

Steve,
    I Klipsch R7s all the way around. Here is a link to the surrounds. I really don't know if they are dipole or not. I don't know that much about speakers to know for sure....
    What I was going to do was get two more center channels from the R7 setup and use those as my two rears. Would those make good rears or should I go the two more of the klipsch surrounds?
    Anyway from what I gathered from your last post....
    DTS(NO ES) WILL send a signal out to the rears.
    I was just reading another thread on "Are 5.1 people being ripped off" or something like that... Anyway, I noticed that you like Logic7.
    I was under the impression that Logic 7 took a 2 channel signal and turned it into a 7 channel.
    If that is NOT the case, how does it work? Say I have my DVD in my DVD player running DTS, what does Logic 7 do at that point? Does it toss out everthing that DTS did to sepparate the channels, and completly re-mix the channels? Or does it work on top of DTS and or Dolby Digital?
    Outside of the fact that for surround sound affects how does logic 7 sound? Does it have the exact same sound as 5.1? Hmmm... Let me rephrase that. Would logic7 sound exactly that same as 5.1 if I disconnected the wires on the two additional rear channels?
    Does it take sound away from the fronts and center? Or does it just take sound away from the surrounds?
    Ugh!

6. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

7. RickBlacker

Jim, when you say that All channels are assignable, that means I could tell my receiver to take my left surround, and re-pipe that to what was my left front? Then I would use the front left pre-amp out into an amp right?
    Hmm, I will have to dig deeper into the manual. That sounds like a good approach.
    This brings me to the need of making a new post....

8. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit