H/K AVR325 users - reliability/fan noise issues?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Jan 18, 2003.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I've finally made up my mind on my new receiver and will most likely be purchasing the H/K AVR325 from Costco for $500. Thanks to everyone who recommended the AVR325 and advised me on other receivers to look at, you all helped loads when it came time to finally decide on one. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I auditioned the H/K AVR325 at Circuit City and was very pleased with it. I was just about to order it from Costco, but before I did I figured it'd be best to ask about any reliability issues first. For those of you with the AVR325, have you had any serious problems with it? What about the fan noise? Has it become an issue at all?
    Thanks in advance!

2. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

George,

A little off topic -- I tried to get CicruitCity to pricematch costco on a HK525. The sales guy say sure, until he saw the costco price ... nearly had a heart-attack at that point. "That $300 difference" he said with a gulp. Then he went to talk to the manager.

He came back with some story about how they couldn't match costco, but would sell me the HK525 for $100 off (instead of the pricematch $300 less).

No deal there. I used J&R (cha-ching for J&R).

Regarding the AV525, I have hever heard the fan turn on. Seems built very well.

... Altan

3. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Altan,
    I figured as much. I wasn't even planning on trying to get Circuit City to match the Costco price, as the AVR325 is also ~$300 cheaper at Costco. I was really just using CC so I could hear the AVR325 before ordering it online...
    Damn those greedy Circuit City managers. [​IMG]

4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

altan: You wouldn't happen to be from the DC area, would you? I had the exact same problem with CC matching Costco, and I too went with J&R.

george: I've been running my 325 pretty steadily for a couple weeks now, and never even heard the fan come on. Of course, the receiver is well-ventilated, but I've also been throwing pretty harsh material at it, like the Telarc 1812 Overture and bombastic DVDs such as LotR and Episode II at -15db and up. Hasn't clipped or shut off, and it runs quiet. Reliability seems solid to me, but this is the first HK I've owned. I'd go ahead and get it.

5. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I spoke to the store manager of the Bellevue Circuit City, and after reviving, assured me that they would pricematch Costco (this was after I had already purchased from Costco, but he didn't know).

I have my AVR-325 in a cabinet with a glass front door and a mostly-open back and about 5" of headroom. I have never once seen or heard the fan go on. I spend nearly 30 minutes watching it from behind with a flashlight directed at the blades while running the receiver pretty good, and I still didn't see it go on.

That's my take...

Tim

6. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Circity City pricematch must be related to how greedy the manager is... It's like "Hi! I'm walking into your store and am willing to drop $700. It requires no time or effort from your sales people." And they say no... I can only imagine they believe it's more important to keep the stock on hand in case somebody who wants to pay full price walks in...

Jesse, it was that Atlanta area.

... Altan