H/K AVR230 power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nathan Bjork, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Hello everybody,

Im getting a new a/v r really soon and I've heard good things about H/K. Right now I have a $188 JVC 7030 (110wattx6, dts-es, PLII-ex) and its in my 10x10 room set up to 2 JBL S38II's for the mains and S-Center II and a pair of N26II's for surrounds. My JVC has a max volume of 70 (its not in -db's) and I only get it up to volume 40 when I blast music through the house (15-20 when im in the room). never been over 45, so I was wondering since my mom wants a surround system in the livingroom, I will get her some JBL E50's and the rest of the N series to complete the system, and after awhile.. an SVS [​IMG] [​IMG] and then put the JVC out there. So since I have sucha small room I was wondering if the H/K AVR230's 50wattx6 would be enough to fill it with sound. Also is the HK230 good for playing music? I am constantly playing music from my iBook to my JVC, and I love the PLII Music and Neo:6 Music setting on my JVC but it has a really weak all-stereo setting that I don't enjoy, but my friends Yamaha's all stereo setting sounds excelent. So again my two questions for the H/K230 are enough power for a 10x10 room at 50x6 and does it have a good music setting? Thanks alot!

Edit: Forgot to add that I will want to keep this H/K for a long time and take it with me once I got to college or move out so does the 230 work good with seperate amps? I saw that it has pre-outs for all the speakers.

2. JoshEE

JoshEE Agent

I recently upgraded from a Yamaha to a H/K 230 and I love it. It's powering 2 S38's, an S-Center, and N24's for surrounds. I feel i've got plenty of headroom if i want to turn it up, never been limited on how loud I want to go. I listen to probably 80% music and 20% HT and it's great, sounds really clean and not harsh or anything. The only point of reference i have is my old system, yamaha 5440 (i think) and some 15" floorstanding KLH's, and this system blows it away in clarity. I think the receiver is a good deal and would recommend it to anyone.
    -Josh

3. Nathan Bjork

Just what I wanted to hear! thanks for the reply. Im gonna order once I get one more reply (hopefully soon) for 379 shipped. I was thinking about saving some money and moving my N26's to the living room and getting 3 or 4 N24's for surround duties, due they match well with the Studio's? Or would I be better off getting S26's?

4. JoshEE

JoshEE Agent

The N24's match alright, but there is a slight difference. It doesn't bother me much since when I listen to music I just use 2 channel stereo, but if you use it a lot for HT you might consider the S26's. Good luck with everything.
    -Josh

5. Nathan Bjork

OK. I think I will go with the s26 becuase my old n26 will match the Northridge series in the livingroom. About the 230, does it have a 3+ channel music setting? I dont't favor the 2-channel for music, I donno may just be that the JVC can't produce it very well, sounds muffeled. Thanks Josh

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Nathan,

Since you listen to quite a bit of music, the H/K will make a nice choice. When it comes to home theater, I realized that I didn't really *love* the performance by H/K in this area - but, it still was O.K.

I don't think you'll have any issues at all using a power amp with this receiver down the road. It should serve you well for several years.

7. Nathan Bjork

OK thanks alot, I will order it tommorow unless some one can give me a reason not to!

One more question, would placing my H/K close to a my sub a bad idea, my sub is right next to the TV stand that the AVR will go.

8. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a H/K AVR 525 and love it.
    Placing the receiver in close proximity to the sub should not be an issue (though I don't know if the constant vibration would be damaging to the electronics inside any home theater gear over time).

Remember to put the AVR in a well-ventilated space as the H/K receivers are known to run hot (unfortunately).

9. Clayton Jr

Clayton Jr Extra

I recently purchased an H/K 230 to drive my JBL Northridge speakers. It sounds superb and there's plenty of power for any conceivable listening situation, especially in my 12x15 living room.

As for music settings, you have a few options. I personally prefer to run stereo material in "5 channel stereo" mode. (If you have a 6.1/7.1 set-up, this becomes "7 channel stereo" mode.) The H/K will duplicate the signal sent to the mains into all the surround channels. Another option is their proprietary "Logic 7" mode, which does the same thing with a bit more DSP processing. You will also have the Neo:6 and DPLII modes.

I have not regretted buying the 230. It's an excellent piece of gear.

10. Wayne Ernst

Clayton,

With your mention of Neo:6 on the H/K, I found that H/K did an outstanding job of implementing this option on their receivers. I never really liked the Neo:6 option on other receivers that I've owned, but on the H/K, it sounded oh so sweet. Plus, the Logic:7 has a good sound to it also. With Logic:7, one really doesn't need to worry about DPL IIx on their H/K, since it will handle a 7.1 situation.

11. Nathan Bjork

Thanks for the input everyone. I jsut had a question about the 7.1 on the 230. Does it exsit, the specs sat 50x6. Do I need an extra amp to run the 7th channel?

12. Wayne Ernst

Nathan,

Unfortunately, the AVR-230 only has 6 amplified channels. If you're in need of 7 channels, you might need to step up the AVR-330.

13. Nathan Bjork

Ok, I was just curious, I don't really have enough for even a 6th channel. I ordered the 230 today for 380 shipped, I found in for 340 but with shipping it was about 380 anyways, so I got it from a online retailer that I know is respectable. Unfortunetly I will be gone at the time it will be delivered so it will most likely sit in front of my gate all day while im at school.