H/K AVR230 output levels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nathan Bjork, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a H/K AVR230 and I ran the built in SPL EzSet option to calibrate my speakers (i will be getting an SPL meter in a month or so) and the setting are FL +7 C+2 FR+7 SR0 SR0. Now on every differnt setting (DTS, Dolby, Lodgic 7 etc) I have to change every setting to 7 2 and 7 again, is there a master setting so I can set 7-2-7 as a default? Sorry for the dumb question but I couldn't find it in the manual

2. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

You need to calibrate it on every different source and surround mode I believe. Then every time you switch to the new source/surround setting it will recall what it was. They might not all be the same, some could adjust the speakers slightly different.

3. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply david. Ok, so you are saying that when I do the test tone, I need to set it on DTS, play the test tone, then switch to DD and play the test tone, and so on?

Update: I just ran the tests and all styed the same excpet Dobly. I could really hear the L&R channels much less than the center, and the surrounds where really loud. Is this test not very accurate? Should I just keep the 7-2-7 setup on all setting untill i get an SPL meter?

4. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Your receiver's internal test tones should have nothing to do with what sound mode you're using. That's my experience with the receivers I've had.

Now if you're using a CD or DVD with test tones, those may be affected by sound modes. They may also differ depending on which source you're using to play them.

My receiver doesn't allow me to assign speaker levels for each input, so I calibrated with my DVD player, since I only play music in stereo. Then I calibrated my DVD-A/SACD player, using its internal level settings, as to not affect the other inputs.