H/K AVR230 or 330...Any user reviews yet?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rick Westfall, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have a new H/K yet? I'm anxious to see a user review.

Rick

2. MikeKG

MikeKG Auditioning

Hi Rick, My new H/K 230 will arive tomorrow ... can't wait.

I'm new to 5.1 ( upgrading from prologic) however if I find anything I like or don't like I'll post back to this thread.

Mike

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I own the 225 and i'm very curious wether upgrading to the 230 would be a much better option. Extra channel, some more features... newer look... I wonder....

4. MikeKG

MikeKG Auditioning

Chris , I went with the 230 over the 225 for the added channel and the small cost difference . My HC-6's got here friday so I've been listening to them, even if only in stereo with the old amp. I think I made the right choice there . Like I said in the above post I'll report if I find anything that stands out as a drawback or if there is a standout feature that I like.

Keep in mind I'm going from pro-logic to 6.1 so any improvement to me will be fantastic.

Mike

5. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Perfect thread! I am looking for a budget Receiver for my in-laws...considering the AVR 130. It looks to be about the same as the AVR 230, but with 5 less watts/channel, and less current capability. I am giving them my old speakers and sub, and the H/K would be a great compliment. Right now they have a Sharp pro logic boombox type all in one unit with terrible sharp speakers. While my Klipsch Quintets are not top notch, they are a big improvement for them. My sub is a 12" powered Advent that is older, and nowhere near as good as my SVS, but it goes well with the Quintets.

Anyone have the AVR 130, or have anything else for about $300 that is a good bang for the buck?

6. MikeKG

MikeKG Auditioning

Bill, I've been shopping alot on the net, try JandR.com for the 130 or 230 my 230 (ran $380)no tax or shipping. If you want the 125 or 225 soundcity.com has refurbished AVR's for $199 and $240 repectively.

Mike

7. MikeKG

MikeKG Auditioning

I just recived my H/K AVR-230 .

The box is very versitile in the set up of different listening modes and speaker congigurations. For instance you can setup a different speaker configuration for each of your inputs. The reciever will automatically return to the setup for a given selected input . You can have all inputs set to one speaker configuration using the global feature. The user guide is not intuitive to me ( but then I'm used to analog outputs) it would be less of an isse to those with more digital background.

The only issue I'm haveing is with the digital cable box . I'm not recieving the digital audio portion of the broadcast.

If anyone would like to ask a detailed question that I maybe able to answer post it here and I'll try my best to answer it.

Thanks to all who have helped me with my purchase !

Mike

8. Erik J. B.

Erik J. B. Extra

HK and digital signal lock has been a concern in the past, so this is the question I'd like to see answered. Maybe you can shed some light on the issue when you get you're digital cable audio going.

9. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

MikeKG,

Some digital cable boxes don't output audio through the digital output if it's tuned to an analog channel. Try testing while tuned to a digital channel if thats the case.

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I just hooked up a 130 for a friend. very nice looking amp. Im sketchy about the quality of build of HK. but from what I have read recently that is all but resloved. Impressons on the receiver is very nice sounding even through old yamaha speakers. im going to get him to purchase b&ws so they should make a huge diffrence....now to the bad stuff. I find that HK receivers very very hard to set up. very confusing. I have no problems but people like my buddy, who is not a HT nut like myself, have setup problems. the new volume knob is a bit on the flimsy side, but looks very nice.

I give it a 6 out of 10, based on sound, build, ease of use, and overall construction.

HK has made a good receiver there.