H/k Avr125

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KyleCT, Dec 21, 2003.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

After coming home for break and comparing my dad's DTS setup with my measely Pro Logic setup i have decided to upgrade receivers. I just read a post about refurb H/K for very cheap, although i am worried that it is only 45-55 watts/channel. Is this loud enough? Most receivers ive seen are 100+. I also saw a denon 1604 for a little more but it had 75 w/channel. Both receivers seem to be recomended for that price range. As i have only been lookin around for about 1 1/2 hours i am open to other suggestions too. Im looking to spend no more than 300. thanks for the advice

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I went from a "100x5" reciever to a 40x5 HK AVR 120 and there was a huge improvement. H/K rates their receivers different than most brands - honest or even underrated. The H/K 125 will be as powerful if not more than the Denon you listed. I think the H/K refurbs from harmanaudio.com are a steal.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

HK under-rates there amps, they give out a few more watts than they are rated.

Also, reciever that say "100x5" or "80x5" or even "75x5" usually won't deliver that type of performance with something that is under about $500. Most flagship recievers deliver about 100 watts per channel.

Here is a link to show you some real world performance.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

Also I own an AVR-225 and a AVR-230 and they both pump out alot of power, enough to drive me deaf if I turn them up all the way.

4. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Nice link. Very helpful.
    I agree with the power ratings. My 75w pch AVR630 which replaced a "100w pch" JVC 6000VBK drives the speakers with more power.

5. James Sarno

James Sarno Stunt Coordinator

KyleCT,
    Don't worry about having enough power,my AVR-110 delivers enough power to my set up...And you can't go wrong with that warm H/K sound...My buddy is STILL trying to duplicate my sound from his "expensive receiver"...Don't forget to calibrate...The AVR-125 is a fine choice...Good for you.

Chris.
    Just wondering if your going to keep the 230...

6. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

BTW, to the original poster. I know your budget is $300 but if you can add like $80 more, get the AVR 230. It has component videos, and a 6.1 but either way, can't go wrong with an HK.

7. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

One other thing. Im upgrading from a yamaha vx r870 which distorts my speakers after turning it up not even that loud. Is there a way to see the quality of the power output of the h/k relative to the yamaha? the yamaha is about 10 years old so how much has technology increased over the last ten years. will i be able to "shake the house" with my polk r30's?

8. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I own the AVR-125, it plays louder than I would like to listen and there isn't any real distortion on my system. I think it is a fantastic bargain.

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I don't know if I am gonna keep the AVR-230 or not. I like my AVR-225's design a little better and I have no use for a rear center channel. I think that I will just return it... save some money.

As for distortion, i've turned my HK all the way up, I didn't notice anything... and that was on even a radio broadcast 30 miles away from me.

10. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

Kyle, don't worry about HK's power ratings -- you'll be pleased.

If you're interested, you can get the HK AVR130 (the new model) on J&R.com for $299. They are an authorized dealer. I'm considering this for a bedroom unit.

CHRIS -- how do you rate the 230 vs the 225? Any preferences, dislikes...?

Mike

11. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

i was looking on ebay and a dealer had the avr 125-z for pretty cheap. is this different than the avr 125 or does it just mean it has been refurbished?

12. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

Yes, the "z" in the 125-z means it is a refurbished product from Harman Audio.

13. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

CHris -- i am too am interested in your comparison between the 225 and the 230. Im debating between those two and the 130 (i dont care about 6.1, only 5.1, and dont care about composite vid. switching). I am using b&w 602 s3s, 601s, and lcr60