H/K AVR 8000 vs MC-1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve K.H., Aug 14, 2002.

1. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I have an H/K 520, and understand the differences between this, and its big brother.
    (I'm having a hard time qualifying that the AVR 8000 has enough features that make it worth Three Times the 520 though).
    Still, I can pick one up on an exchange for a decent price.
    That would put a monkey in the MC-1 (or proposed MC-2 that one dealer told me about) in the plans.
    So, Lex and H/K owners... The upside/downside of all three?
    Yes, I'm going up to 6/7.1 [​IMG] in two weeks.
    As an example, the H/K 520 is not able to process DTS/DD into L7. Does that justify the price of the 8000?
    Is the additional amplification on the 8000 clean and sufficient for the average H/T set-up?
    Are the concerns with analog processing on the Lex real?
    On a side note, on films that are DTS/DD, is there a discernable difference in decoding either to L7, given a choice? If so, please elaborate...

2. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

Maybe I misunderstand but I think Logic 7 is like Dolby Prologic II in that both are used to 'artificially' create multiple channels from a stereo source. DD and DTS are multichannel sources that do not need to be converted. In fact applying L7 to them would simply distort the original program. So it makes good sense that the AVR520 doesn't even try to do this and I am surprised if the KK 7000 or 8000 do.

3. Steve K.H.

Most (in fact probably all) Lex / HK 8000 owners will explain that Logic 7 processing enhances the sound.
    And comparisons with DPL II are like the VW to the Porsche...[​IMG]

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

DPL-II and the Logic7 on the HK 7000 & 520 can only be applied to stereo and pro-logic encoded sources. Real Logic7 on the Lex can be used in conjuction with DD/DTS 5.1 encoded sources. Supposedly the HK 8000 can do this as well, but the question is does it sound anywhere near the MC-1's Logic7.

I don't think there is an MC-2 version, only the megabucks MC-12.

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I don't think the real question is if the AVR8000's L7 sound is anywhere near the MC-1's, the question is if the additional adjustments to L7 available with the MC-1 are worth it to you. I have an AVR8000 and personally love the way L7 sounds on top of 5.1 sources (even 6.1 like Gladiator).

It's not that the AVR520 "doesn't even try to do this", it's rather that it does not have the processing power to overlay L7 on multichannel digital sources.

The amp channels in the AVR8000 are very clean. You should have no problems at all driving your Paradigm up past reference levels without distortion.

If the extra adjustments available for L7 in the MC-1 are worth it to you, then you may want it.

6. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I have a H/K 320 with a paradigm setup and you know it already sounds great. Take a look at this link to crutchfield
    H/K 8000. When you look inside its a different beast.[​IMG]

7. Steve K.H.

Gabriel...

Aside from the obvious (THX Ultra, L7 on the 5.1 or 6.1), is there a clear difference that makes you sit back and say

"This is definitely a much better unit than the 520" ?