H/K AVR-7200 or Sony STR-DA3000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CraigerM, Feb 11, 2004.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Auditioning

Hello,

I'm looking for any real world recommendations for a new receiver. I listen to about 50/50 music/movies. Being a musician, music reproduction is important to me. I like a punchy, fat sound whether I am listening to Alan Parsons, or my son's Linkin Park....

I have an ailing Sony db-930, Pinnacle Towers, Axiom QS-8 surrounds, Outlaw ICBM and a Klipsch KSW-12 Sub. My room is about 12 x18. I have about $800-$900 to spend and I have narrowed down to two possibilites. The H/K AVR-7200 and the new Sony STR-DA3000.

I truly like the way the sound is now with cds or movies. Having the Bass Boost and EQ functions of the Sony helps that Fat low end. It is a little bit thin when I play SACD or DVD-A, unless I crank up the volume. I'd like to get that same punch at a lower decibel if possible. I am hoping a better receiver with a high current amp will do the trick. I know its going to be difficult at my price point, but I figured the new technology receivers may help.

Thank you for any advice, or recommedations.

Craig

2. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

When comparing those two you would be doing yourself a serious injustice if you didn't purchase the 7200.

I'm not singling out sony, but they've never melted my butter in terms of recievers - they're always buggy, quirky, and have issues. HK amp section are very stout and they're processing is very tight IMO.

Consider that you're comparing in reality a $1000 sony reciever to a $2000 HK reciever.

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Brandon is just saying that because he just bought one. Then again so did I! I have had the 7200 for just a week but so far I can say it is a very nice piece. At the price they are going for right now, $800, I don't see that you wouldn't be happy with it. It has some serious power and has helped me overcome my bass issues with my set-up.

4. CraigerM

CraigerM Auditioning

Thanks for the quick replys.

Im leaning towards the H/K, even though I will have to get a new rack or something to accomodate the extra size. I also had a friend recommend the Yamaha RX-V2400. I've heard Yamaha are noted for their clarity, but I'd have to hear it to see if it can deliver the music punch I need. I cant seem to find a place here on LI that carries both though.

5. NickScott

NickScott Stunt Coordinator

Hey, sony makes nice stuff, but I would buy one of there receivers. HK all the way!!

6. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

doesn't that sony reciever have a digital amp section? That alone would make me abandon that idea.

To me you're still comparing a 2000 reciever to recievers in the 750 - 1000 range. It only makes sense to get the hk.

7. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

8. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

14 PAGES!!![​IMG]

9. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Another vote for the 7200!

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Tried and true analog which is the HK versus Sonys digital. It does seem to me that there is a premium to pay for these new amps since the HK right now is really the better bargain. If one were comparing using price as a guidline, the 7200 should be compared to the DA 5000. However, I've yet to see any great bargains offered on the Sonys. It appears that early production runs with the new Sonys have had their share of problems which would cause me pause to a purchase of one of these new receivers. If your purchase will be immediate, I'd suggest the HK.

11. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I would go for the 7200 also, unless you can find a analog STR-DA7ES. But then the 7ES is not much smaller or lighter than the 7200.

12. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Though I must disagree with Brandon's comments about Sony [ES] receivers having "always been quirky/buggy", I would agree with him regarding the comparison...

You can't really compare the DA3000ES to the 7200--they aren't on the same level really. The 7200 handily wins as it is a higher end/more expensive receiver.

Perhaps a more appropriate comparison would be the Sony DA5000ES? As JackS has mentioned though, there haven't really been any great deals on the Sony DAx000ES receivers as of yet and some of the early ones did have some problems, therefore I'd say the H/K is a good bet.

13. Michael__M

And just so you don't feel left out, here is the official HT forum answer-

Take each one home and listen to them on your speakers, in your room, with your ears, and let the music tell you which one you like.

And this is really true. Everyone likes something different. Most the pieces in this price range are good, reliable pieces and each will have its strong and weak points. It may take a little trial and error but you will find the one that works the best for you. Me, I ran out of patience. After the 3rd AVR I tried I bought the 7200. I am also one cheap SOB and the 7200 is a smokin deal right now.

14. CraigerM

CraigerM Auditioning

Thank you all for the detailed repsonses. As always, they are based in sound judgement (pun intended)!

I would like to try one at home, but I cant seem to find anyone here on Long Island that has the HK. The "Best Buy" type stores dont carry anything like it, and the higher end stores dont either. I guess my next move will be to go to the city or NJ and bring my current rcvr with me to A/B as a reference.

Thank you all again for your time and advice.

Craig

15. Michael__M

Circuit City has the H/K line if there is one close to you. I used my local CC to audition the 7200 before I ordered it online for a $1000 less.

16. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Hey Craiger, it's amazing how similar our systems are...I also have the DB930 driving my two Pinnacle Towers at the front.

I'm extremely delighted with the 930 but like most Ht fans, I'm wondering what's out there and if I'm missing anything [​IMG]

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 7200 as well. The Pinnacles can sound a little bright at times so the reputed "warmness" of the 7200 should be ideal! Keep us posted on your decision.

17. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

HK7200 here as well. IMO at the prices they are selling them for you have jump on it. I have had seperates for the last couple years and I have been very happy with the performance of the HK since switching from my Rotel 1066/Parasound 2205AT combo. Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]