H/K avr 520...does it have DD 6.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David John, Dec 31, 2001.

1. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the AVR 520 has a matrix 6.1 for Dolby Digital?

It has DTS 6.1 matrix/discrete, but does it have a 6.1 mode for DD?

I'm considering this Receiver as I want to upgrade to 6.1.

But I want to have both DD 6.1 and DTS 6.1.

TIA.

2. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I looked through the manual and it makes not mention of DD 6.1 only dts. May need to call your local H/K dealer to find out for sure.

Nick L

3. David John

Thanx.
    I really like that receiver, and I was hoping they had a 6.1 mode for DD even if they didn't call it Dolby Digital EX. Maybe a way to turn on the matrix decoding for any 5.1 source.
    Oh well....looks like I'll have to save up for the AVR 8000!
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. David John

Wouldn't Logic-7 work for Dolby Stereo the way you desire?

I was under the impression that with the surround back speakers selected during the setup, Logic-7 would use surround L/R + the surround back speakers.

With no surround back speakers, Logic-7 is really "Logic-5".

Am I wrong?

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I had a brief exposure to this unit,I had to send it back because it had a faulty surround pre/amp out.However I had a chance to play with it as far as features,and sorry to say but there wasn't any way to turn on the,back surrounds with a DD signal.With 2ch PCM and analog,you can activate all 7 speakers with DPLII and Logic-7,provided that you set it up as "7 speaker",in the "speaker menu".Yes you have DTS ES matrix and discrete.

The lack of DD EX was an oversight IMO from HK.

Too Bad!

7. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I am only taking an educated guess here but I believe this is because; A unit had to be thx certified in the past to incorporate DD-EX. This is not so anymore but I think it was a case of to little to late. HK had already designed there next recievers. This is why the THX certified AVR 8000 DOES have DD EX and the 520 doesn't. If my assumptions are incorrect please feel free to jump in.

Rob

8. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

There are MANY older Recievers that are no listed as DD EX/THX Surround EX compatible but can decode the format anyway (Outlaw 1070, Denon 3802, ect)...

This reciever is a mishmash of decoding festures (DTS ES discrete but only 5 amplified channels???)

Thats just my $.02 at least...

9. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Yea you definetly have a good point Kelly. You think they would have put something in their to decode DD 6.1 No matter what they call it. Its kind of pointless having a nice 6.1 surround system that can decode dts but not DD6.1

As far as the 5 channels of Amplification, I think I remember reading a statement from HK saying something along the lines of they wanted to have 6.1 decoding for upgradability purposes but said they would have to compromise the quality of their reciever to incorporate two extra channels of amplification.

10. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I was under the impression (both from posts I have read here in the past as well as from info I have read from the DTS website) that DTS-ES is able to decode DD-EX information. I just ordered this unit in the hopes that it will indeed work with DD-EX. Am I wrong? I would like to experience Star Wars:TPM the way it was supposed to be. Is this now not to be? Please help set me straight.

--Scott

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes the decoding chip can handle both,however in the HK-520's case,the designers simply didn't assign this task for the chip with DD signals.

The Outlaw 1050 receiver is just the opposite,it has a "homebrew" DD EX but no DTS ES.At least when they released this model.I've heard later they did some modifications,but not sure if this was among them.