H/K AVR 500 -- DTS "crackling" sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Brunner, Apr 13, 2002.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Lets say I am having a few problems with the DTS mode in my Receiver. After a few minutes into the DVD the speakers experience a crackling noise. When I pause the DVD and return to the movie it goes away for a while. Is it feasible to bypass the receivers and use the DVD's DTS. Will it present the same sound enhancements?

Am I making since?

Thanks much

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If your DVD player has a built-in DTS decoder and you have the right connections from the player to your receiver (i.e., 6 separate analog connections, which not all receivers have inputs for), then you can skip the receiver's DTS decoding. Otherwise you can't.

The better solution would be to figure out why your receiver is having problems with the DTS signal. You might want to start by listing the makes and models of your equipment.

M.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Well, it's an H/K AVR 500. I really don't want to miss this unit for the 2 to 3 weeks minimum that it would have to be at service center.

4. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

I have an optical cable running from my receiver to my dvd player. Once my speakers come in, will I have a problem with hearing DTS soundtracks?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Some production runs of that reciever had defective DTS decoding. I know people who had them. It came on the heels of the AVR-65 debacle (which the AVR-500 was the successor to) and realy shook the confidence in HK quality Control.

7. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I remember those problems occured with those older HK receivers. Also, there was the mysterious volume spike problems where the volume would suddenly change without any user input. I was a big HK fan and hope they finally righted the ship.

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

H/K, like a lot of manufacturers, took a hit in QC when they initially moved production to China. Certain design and build issues cost them some prestige for awhile but the great thing about this company is the customer service which is back to being top notch.