1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

H/K AVR 320, 7.1 connection.... how?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Cross, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

Hello,
    I'm considering an upgrade, from an onkyo sr600 to an H/K 320, but im confused about speaker outputs. the ad says its 7.1 but it only has outputs for 5.1.
    how exactly would i hook up 7.1?

TYIA
    Steve

2. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Since the 320 only has amplification for 5 channels, you first would need a (2) channel amp. You would then use the pre-outs on the 320 labeled "SBR" & "SBL" (surround back left & right) to go into this (2) channel amp, and then connect your back surround speakers to that amp.

Phil

3. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

Thanks,
    What if i only wanted 6.1, would i be able to do this?
    also, since im only using an ext. amp for the single rear center do i need a high quality amp? or could i just use a cheap, low watt amp? or do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much
    Steve

4. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you actually select 6.1/7.1, and then tell it the number of surround back speakers that you are using. You would then only need (1) channel of amplification (for 6.1).

I would'nt be afraid to try a cheaper amp/old receiver for this, but you may just have to experiment.

Phil

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Correct if I'm wrong but, I thought that the 320 and 520 did not apply Logic 7 to 5.1 material, only 2 channel stereo sources which includes Dolby Prologic. It was my impression that only the 8000 does Logic 7 for 5.1 material.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I apologize for the previous post, I'm clear now. I didn't realize that the 320 has pre-outs for SBL/SBR. Maybe I need to upgrade to the 520 until I ready for the 8000.

7. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

you're right about the application though... it (320/520)will NOT apply L7 to digital sources... the 8000 will though.