H/K AVR-225 vs. H/K AVR-230

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisYK, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

Correct me if I'm wrong but other than the fact that the AVR225 is 5 x 55W 5.1-Channel and the AVR230 is 6 x 50W 6.1-Channel, there's no difference between the two receivers (except cosmetically)?

If so, I am leaning towards the 225 because of the higher power rating and my indifference to the 6.1 at this point. Is my reasoning flawed at all?

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

It's flawed in that you should get the AVR325 because it has a number of features over the 225.

3. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

A few other significant advantages of the 230 over the 225:

-audio pre-outs (to add an external amplifier)
    -component video switching
    -increased bass management controls (crossover for the 225 is fixed at 100hz)

That first one would probably be the biggest factor to justify the price increase for me (I have a 225). But like Andrew mentioned, you can get these features plus extra wattage if you go for a 325, and save a little money in the process.

4. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

So the 325 has pre-outs, component switching and extra wattage? Interesting... the fact that it has pre-outs is definitely intriguing as I was also looking for flexibility in terms of future upgrades.

Edit: where can I find the 325 for a reasonable price? All the places I've found seem to sell it for close to the price of the 330.

5. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator