What's new

H/K AVR 125 or Denon 1604? (1 Viewer)

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a good receiver for around $300, and not more than $400. These two have caught my eye so far and I was wondering what everyone thought of them. I'm trying to build up a new home theater system and I have some speakers I can use (hand me downs from my Dad's old system) but I need a decent receiver. I'm looking for most of the standard features, but it's not a huge deal if the receiver has 6.1, though I would definitely like one with Pro Logic II (for the Gamecube). If anyone has anything to say about these particular receivers or any others for the price range, I would much appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
check around, you can get both of those receivers for less than that. probably step up to the HK 225 for less than 300 if you check the net a little. get it refurbished, it will be just as new and much cheaper.

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
You can get a Denon 1803 for $299 from 6ave.com. It has 6 channels, prologic II, DTS-ES, etc. It would be quite nice. If you want to get an HK, you can get a refurbished AVR-225 from ecost.com for around $250 shipped.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses so far. Would anyone go with one of those receivers over the other? Why?

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I would jump at the Denon 1803 deal. I just got one of those a few days ago and love it. Great deal and 6th Ave is an authorized dealer so you will get full warranty support through Denon.

As far as the difference in sound between the Denon and H/K, I haven't had enough experience with the latter to make a fair comparison. I can say that I prefer the sound of the 1803 over my old Pioneer Elite 24tx.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the responses so far. Would anyone go with one of those receivers over the other? Why?
I've owned 2 Denon receivers and 1 H/K receiver over the last two years. Based on my situation, equipment and environment, I'd have to give the nod to H/K. I like H/K a little better for their sound -- but only slightly ahead of Denon. :)

However, keep in mind, you have to go for what sounds good to YOU!

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
I like the crisp sound H/K puts out. I've owned a Pioneer and H/K (needles to say the H/L blew the pioneer away). I've spent a long time on demo floors listening to the Denons, but I have to go with H/K.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I own the H/K 125 and I love it. I have seen the Denon and really like it as well. I got a really good deal on the 125. I think it sounds awesome and suits my needs perfectly.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I own a HK AVR-225 and when I upgraded it was a big WOW! It sounded alot clearer and much more crisp than ever before. I would definantly go for the HK if you can find it. 99.9% of the recievers come with Pro Logic II today so I wouldn't worry, as well as Dolby Digital and DTS. HK also comes with Logic7 which is basically a ProLogic II but I think it seperates the channels much better than PLII. Also, HK is ended there xx5 product cycle so you should be able to find a really good deal.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Chris - What were you upgrading from? Also, what kind of a deal did you get on your 225? I'm thinking it might be a little too pricey and I'm a little hesitant about getting a refurbished model.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I just found the H/K AVR-225 at Best Price Audio/Video for $319. This seems like a good price, but I haven't shopped with these guys before and haven't heard them mentioned. Has anyone had any experience with this store? Thanks.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I bought mine new from a place called SoundCity for $400 even. It may be a little more than you could get it for online but I just wanted it then and I like the place so it was always a nice extra. As for my upgrade, I have previously owned a Panasonic reciever, and a Sony... both were garbage compared to this one, they were both $300.

I also looked at the Yamaha models and they didn't come close to touching the HK...

If you don't need a whole whop load of extras or anything the AVR-125 should be a nice piece that will suite you well. Don't be fooled by the power ratings either, the reciever is more than powerful enough.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
SoundCity - SoundCity has the H/K AVR-225 (refurbished) for $240 -- and free shipping. Their site indicates that they are authorized to sell H/K, too.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Yes they are. Of course I bought new and it was before the price drop. But I definantly trust SoundCity and they are very helpful if you do have any problems.... I recommend them 100%. Thanks Wayne, I didn't see that on the site. :)

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
There's no differance in sound quality between the 125 and 225.The 225 is a little more powerful, has onscreen programming, component video outs not ins and I believe you can adjust the sound levels with a built in sound level meter.So if you don't need the extra features and power go with the 125.
There are reviews at Cnet for the two of them.
http://att.com.com/Harman_Kardon_AVR...tml?tag=review

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks