What's new

H/K AVR 125 and 225.......... (1 Viewer)

ColtonA

Stunt Coordinator
First and foremost I need to know the majour difference between the two, besides the 10 watts per channel, I need to know if the price leap between the two is Justifiable......second, is 50 watts really enough to drive your system? I mean why is there rateing so low compared to all other recievers? Im a little worried because I DO listen to allot of music considerably louder then Movies and im worried there will not be enough juice to power my speakers considerebly..........thanks....

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
the 225 has a OSD and 1 more svideo in/out and the 10 watts. IMO, it's not worth the money - 100 bucks for that?!

The reason why H/K wattage ratting are so low because they're one of the few who accurately rate their amps. The 125's 45 watts easily matches the 80-100 watts per channel that other receivers in this price range advertise.

Can 45 wpc power your speakers? It depends. If you got a large room or like your sound loud, it may not be enough power. But I doubt anything in this price range could power your speakers to your liking if the 125 couldn't.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I was in the same boat- the power difference between them is insignificant. I purchased the 225 for the added Ez set feature. Read this from a web article on the two machines:

The AVR 225 provides the ultimate in home entertainment system control and calibration, thanks to its easy-to-use, on-screen-menu system and supplied EzSet remote, which includes a built-in, sound-pressure-level measuring and calibration system that enables the user to automatically balance speaker-channel levels for optimum surround sound listening, regardless of the speaker complement or room conditions. Setting speaker levels is one of the most critical adjustments for proper movie-soundtrack reproduction, and the EzSet remote makes the process accurate and virtually foolproof, for maximum sonic benefits. In addition, the EzSet provides programmable control of up to six home entertainment system components.

The 125 doesn't have the Ez set feature, but if you plan on buying or already have the Radio Shack SPL meter, I don't think it's that important. On the other hand- the price is right for the 225's and even 320's out there, so I would check them out. Unless CC or a place like that will match the prices on JandR.com (authorized) I wouldn't consider them for HK stuff. Do a search here for where to get these machines before you buy one. They are awesome and you will enjoy them.

By the way, with HK, I do believe that as the machines get more expensive they do get better- even if just by a little bit- unlike some other brands, power ratings aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks