H/K 7200 or Outlaw 950: Which matches better with my speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Angel Pagan, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I see many "receiver/unit A vs receiver/unit B" threads so I'm sorry to add another [​IMG] but, I don't see any with my speakers so here goes.

I'm not really looking for pros and cons on either one but was just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on which unit would go bettter with Def Tech speakers (primarily the Pro Cinema 80s).

Anyone know how either one of these units would match with these speakers?

Thanks in advance.

-Angel

EDIT: Edited to add that I currently am using a Pioneer 26tx receiver with a Parasound 855a and change some wording. [​IMG]

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The Outlaw won't drive any speakers as it's a preamp.
    I doubt that any of the 2 would dissapoint or would sound much different from one another.I would concentrate on the features,and ergonomics.

3. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Lewis, thanks for your reply and clarification. Wrong choice of words. [​IMG]

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Angel,

I guess so your question could be further answered, how big is your listening area?

I can appreciate your desire to find out an answer to your question. I haven't owned any of the Outlaw gear - but, have given it lots of thought recently.

Separates would be real sweet to own. However, I guess the question you should ask yourself is: "Are separates worth $800 more than the H/K AVR-7200 alone?"

If I were in your shoes, my logic would have me picking the AVR-7200 and then applying the $800 saved towards some other piece of gear.

Just my .02 [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No offense, but with the Procinema 80s, a receiver upgrade or change is not going to make a dramatic difference. Your speakers are where you should be looking to spend the $$ if you want to hear a noticable difference.

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I agree with john....buying a new receiver like the HK...you will not get the most out of it thru those speakers....

7. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Wayne, John, Chad, thanks for your replies. [​IMG]

Wayne, my listening area is roughly 16x12.

John, Chad, thanks for the honest point. [​IMG]

I guess I really wasn't expecting an overall improved sound from an upgrade. My current receiver doesn't have PLII or component switching so I was looking at whatever was currently being discussed, just to be up-to-date.

I read members mentioning how some receiver/speaker combos produce "bright" results or "not warm enough" sound and was just wondering how my current speakers would match with the two units I mentioned.

As far as my speakers go, I can't upgrade those as of yet because they were a gift. I could, however, move them to the bedroom but that can't happen for awhile since I'd have to deal with space and WAF. [​IMG]

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Those characteristics are really the product of speakers and their interaction of the room.No electronics [especially not solid state] will change tonal characteristics of a speaker,same goes to cables and other "tweaks". Like I said you'll be more likely happy with either one.

9. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Thanks Lewis. [​IMG]