H/K 7200 - DTS is always NEO6

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RickBlacker, Jun 7, 2003.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Just got my 7200, noticed that when I am watching DTS movies, the display always says DTS/NEO6. Is that normal or is it stuck in NEO6 mode? I realize this may be a stupid question, but the receiver is new to me and I don't know all the ins and outs yet.

2. Bud S.

Bud S. Auditioning

I have had my 7200 for a short while but when I set up the sound before playing a DTS DVD the receiver recognizes the DTS datastream and shows just DTS on the front panel screen automatically. I assume you have gone through the complete setup of your inputs and speakers. The owners manual says that Neo:6, either music or cinema mode are for analog sources.

First, I'd insure you are selecting the DTS sound option on your DVD player before starting your movie. Then I'd suggest double checking your setup.

Bud

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

You should go into your dvd player's setup menu, and make sure that the DTS output is set to Bitstream rather than PCM.

Then you should go ahead and make sure that that you have the dvd input on your receiver set to be decoding a digital signal. There may be an autodecode setting for this.

Nick

4. chris ol

chris ol Auditioning

I believe the reason it says DTS/NEO6 is because you are using a 7.1 setup, correct? It is decoding the DTS and mixing it with NEO6 to make use of the two rear channels.

5. RickBlacker

Chris... So then is it remixing it into NEO:6 or is it just matrixing the two rears out of the surrounds? And yes, I do run 7.1.

I was wrong on what it says, it says:
    DTS+NEO:6

Coming from my DVD player, it's set to PCM/Bitstream.
    In the receiver, it's set to digital in on input one using optical.

6. chris ol

chris ol Auditioning

Yes it is doing a matrix. I have the HK 525 and I have the 7.1 setup and it also says DTS+NEO:6.

7. RickBlacker

Chris, interesting. I thought NEO:6 was when you had an analog signal and it turned it into a 5 signal. No?

So, NEO:6 will not reconstuct the original digital signal comeing in will it? It just extracts two extra channels for the rear. Right?

Also, when I put in my Gladiator DVD, chose DTS-ES, DTS-ES is what appeared on the display.

8. Marcel_V

Marcel_V Stunt Coordinator

Correct, when it says DTS+NEO:6, it is playing a regular DTS 5.1, and extrapolating the rear surround channels the way the dolby digital EX mode pulls the rear channels from a non-ex encoded discs. This may or not be a desirable affect, so some people turn off the rear channels material that isnt EX or ES encoded. I have an HK 325 and leave it on, I think it sounds fine.

On a true DTS-es disc, you will either get DTS-ES matrix or dts-es discrete showing up on the display. T2 is an example of a matrix disc, whereas gladiator is a discrete disc.

If you only see NEO6, then you are getting a prologic like decoding method off an analog source. The DTS+NEO6 distinguishes digital material from regular 2 channel analog. If you want further proof, disable your rear speakers, and the display will only say DTS whenever you play movies, es or not. [​IMG]

9. RickBlacker

Marcel_V

Thanks for verifying this for me. I don't see NEO:6 only. I was just a little worried that somehow my receiver was processing the signal as true NEO:6 rather than DTS 5.1 but I guess it's not from what I understand, which is good.

It is a very nice receiver. I just upgraded from my H/K 520. The one thing I have noticed is that the 7200 seems a lot smoother than the 520. The 7200 sounds just like the 520 in that, they are both Harman recevers, so they have the same exact sound signature.