H/K 525 Setup Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Phil Levy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

Alright, I got everything wired enough that it turns on and produces sound, but I am totally lost as far as setting up levels, crossover, etc.

I'm using an HK525, 3x M&K K7s in front, K4 tripoles in the rear, and a B&W ASW300 sub. CD/DVD player is Pioneer 563-A, to which I've hooked up an optical out and the 6 channel direct.

So uh... I dont even know where to start [​IMG]. What should I set the speaker sizes to? Or do I want the crossover mode, and if so at what settings? Then should I run EZSet? Or am i totally lost (as I expect [​IMG])?

Anyway, any help is GREATLY appreciated, I'm really looking forward to optimal sound out of this thing [​IMG]. BTW, I have a DVE disc if that matters, but without an SPL I assume I'm relying on EZSet?

2. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I got my 525 a couple weeks ago so i'm not that cerctain on how it should go exactly but i think you have a couple chuices in setup. You could use the pioneer for all distance/level settings or you could use the 525 to do the bass mangement using the analog ins, i'm not sure if the 525 does delay adjuments for analog though, or you could use the pioneer settings for dvda and use the 525 settings for sacd since the pioneer player does bass mangments diffrently for the 2 formats. I wonder if all the settings are global, on the 525. But if i were you i would get a spl meter. I tried to use ez set and it didn't work and acording to a review done in S&V for the 8000 and the 7200 the ez settings were inacurate anyway.

3. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

One thing to keep in mind is that the 525 allows you have have completely different settings for each source and source "mode". While this is a nice feature, it's also a pain.

The problem is that you need to keep entering the same information (assuming you don't want different configurations). For example, if your surround left and right are -2db then you must enter this information for DTS, DD, 6 channel, etc.

I had no luck with the ezset. My setup would have required rearranging the room for the remote to be able to transmit to the receiver while the ezset process was happening. The $30 SPL meter from RadioShack works well. Go purchase it.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest

- calibrating all speakers for reference level (and consistent volume)

- setting the delay

- repeating this for each of the possible inputs/modes

- while it might not be optimal for your setup, just set all speakers to small and select SUB for the bass. I believe this to be a good general setting. Tweak from there.

... Altan

4. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice you two, I'm gonna go buy an SPL meter this weekend, and I've figured out some of the nuances of crossover etc by reading a slew of old posts.

Levels are gonna take a long time to set methinks [​IMG]

5. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

seems like there should be an option to set all modes to the same settings. I have a 525 too but I have only had it for 2 weeks and I havent spent much time with it because im busy playing with my 2 channel system. If I figure it out I will post