H/K 525, second zone output question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bert D, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I plan on getting an H/K 525 for my main HT setup, and using it to feed up to 3 other receivers/amps with the "second zone" outputs to send sound throughout the house.

Is this possible without sound degradation ? Is splitting the output into 3 even possible ? or recommended ? how to if so ?

I know I could get a specialized amp and speaker selectors, etc. costing big bucks, but I have a good 2 channel amp to drive the upstairs and I can use my current H/K 310 downstairs to run at least 2 sets of speakers and maybe even more if the H/K 310 is stable at 4 ohms (4 sets of 8 ohm speakers) this is my last question ; do you know if the H/H 310 can run safely at 4 ohms ? Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bert,
    You’ve given us some conflicting information here, so it will be difficult to adequately answer your questions: You mention “three other amp/receivers” in the first paragraph, but in the last paragraph it sounds like you actually only have two “other” amps/receivers.
    I always find it amusing when people wonder if they will suffer “signal degradation” from second-zone feeds – as if anyone puts all their reference gear at their secondary locations. [​IMG]
    Be that as it may, as long as the second zone of the 525 is regular line-level RCA outputs, you can split them with no problem. You can use regular RCA “y” adapters. The only “sound degradation” is a slight loss in signal level, but that can be made up with the volume control at the remote amplifier. Depending on the length of the cable runs to the secondary zones, there might be some slight high frequency loss. But this can also be compensated for with the remote receiver.
    As to the 310’s 4-ohm capability, that would be pretty rare for a receiver. Your best bet would be to give HK a call and ask their tech support people.
    However, a stand-alone power amp (if indeed that’s what you’re talking about in the first part of the third paragraph” would probably be better suited for 4-ohm operation.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,
    To clariy, I currently "have" the two receivers, would get a new "cheapie" for the bedroom, this would make the third receiver. The intent is to get sound throughout the home/outside inexpensively.

This is not aimed at getting "reference" sound through out he home, just decent sounds inside and out.

Since the H/K 310 only cost me $270 it certainly will not be wasted driving 4 sets of speakers, ( @ 4 ohms) with the cost advantage of not having to get impedance matching volume controls, speaker switching boxes, etc. It would also allow extra flexibility being a receiver. So that takes care of 4 sets of speakers.
    I found out that H/K receivers CAN hold up to a 4 OHM load according to the Harman website, ( most 4 ohm loads it says) so it should do ok with the plan above. I will hold off getting the "cheapie" bedroom unit until I establish the the HK 310 can hold up under the 4 ohm duty. Otherwise I will put that in the bedroom and have to get a different set up to drive the 4 sets.

The spare 2 channel Akai (100 watts a side, 1985 Japan build) receiver with A/B speaker switching will take care of my upstairs 2 pairs of speakers for 2 rooms, no auto on on this one, no big deal, I can turn it on when upstairs. No cost on this one. This would be the second signal input needed.

I plan on sending the "third" second room output signal to the bedroom system so that can be turned on and cover the M-bedroom/bath system with the same sound as the rest of the house.

Last but not least, I plan on using the "rear" surrounds on the HK 525 for at least 1 more set of speakers, ( setting up main HT as 5.1 only) maybe more with a cheap speaker switch, impedance matching controls. Or since HK can hold up under 4 ohms, run 2 sets from the 525.

Anyone see any problems with this plan ? If what Wayne states is true, that it is a rca out, and I likely will not loose much signal, this should work right ?
    If it works, I could end up powering a 5.1 system, up to 8 extra sets of speakers, and a bedroom set for the cost of a 525 ($700) and a $200 bedroom receiver. I am a novice at HT, so take it easy if this sounds wacky. To get a dedicated
    and specialized "whole house" receiver would be thousands and I still would get the 525, or at least a 325 for the 5.1 main HT set up.